Letters to the Editor

Bus ride reveals students' latent prejudice

Last Thursday my roommate Randy and I boarded the bus for the Mathey College trip to "Carmen" in New York. We were looking forward to a night of beautiful music and spectacular scenery. Before even entering New York, however, our visions of beauty were spoiled by the conversation of two of our fellow opera-goers.

These two had been discussing politics and personal beliefs during the whole trip. The conversation was innocuous at first, but as the trip progressed, their discussion grew more and more disturbing. They voiced their attitudes towards gays, blacks and Jews in no uncertain terms. These two decreed that gay people, though obviously inferior, could sometimes be acceptable if they were not flamboyant. It should be legal to discriminate against flamboyant gays in the job market, though. As for African Americans, they had hated running against those "darkies" in high school track. Darkies. I thought this term died long ago, but apparently I was wrong. As for Jews, they "really love money."

Randy and I were so outraged by their talk that we turned to them and asked if they realized how offensive they were being. They were perplexed by our outrage; they hadn't said anything offensive. We repeated their statement that "all Jews love money," and were rebuffed with "Well that's not bad. I love money." These two had no justification for their use of the word "darkies," though.

We are still reeling from the fact that anyone, especially a student at what is supposed to be the greatest university in the nation, could be so bigoted. We are dismayed and chagrined to know that these two will walk around wearing Princeton shirts, proudly declaring their representation of Old Nassau. We realize that most students here are very open-minded and tolerant, but those who aren't reflect badly on the rest of us. So what can we do about this? Speak up. If you hear anyone speaking in such offensive, outrageous terms, let him or her know what you think of it. Keep an open dialogue going. This cannot be tolerated anywhere, especially on our campus. Erin Kappeler '05 Randy Buzzell '05