Letters to the Editor

OIT's rudeness in password protection

Though I thoroughly understand the University's need to maintain electronic security, a recent development at OIT has called into question the wisdom of how this is currently being pursued. After having used the same IMAP password for over three years, I received an e-mail last week from OIT recommending that I change my password. Then, yesterday afternoon, I was apprised that I had to change my password. Why OIT didn't tell me that in the first place is beyond me. However, that is a minor issue. What is of greater import, however, is that after I did change my password (from something easy to type and remember to something much more cumbersome given the new restrictions on password characters), I could not access my e-mail. When I called OIT help to report this, they then told me that this problem occurred about 20% of the time, and could only be fixed by coming in person to OIT headquarters, which are as inconveniently located as it gets here. The fact that OIT suddenly deems it necessary to upgrade password security that has worked very well for me is odd. However, sending out e-mails to students telling them they have to change their passwords ASAP, when OIT knows that 20% of the time they will be severely hassled thanks to a bug in an OIT program is utterly ridiculous, and calls for an investigation into the sources of this exemplary display of computing and courtesy incompetence. David Madden '03