Three more alumni deaths confirmed

In the wake of Tuesday's terrorist attacks in New York and Washington, three Princeton alumni have been confirmed dead and at least one has been reported missing, in addition to Chris Mello '98 who was aboard American Airlines Flight 11 that crashed into the World Trade Center.

Robert McIlvaine '97 and Karen Klitzman '84 were killed in the WTC and Catherine MacRae '00 is still missing.

William Caswell GS '75 was aboard American Airlines Flight 77, which departed Washington's Dulles airport en route to Los Angeles, but veered off course and struck the Pentagon, Jean Caswell, wife of the deceased, said yesterday.

Caswell — who graduated with a doctoral degree in particle theory from the physics department — was a resident of Silver Spring, Md., where he worked as a scientist with the Navy.

An avid folk dancer, who enjoyed reading and playing pool, Caswell "cared a lot about truth and wouldn't let anybody get away with half truths," Jean Caswell said. Mrs. Caswell described her husband as a "good, honest, caring and intelligent man."

A memorial service will be held Sunday in Maryland.

Klitzman — a sociology major at Princeton — was working for eSpeed, a division of the financial services company Cantor Fitzgerald, on the 105th floor of Tower One of the World Trade Center, when American Airlines Flight 11 struck the building, The New York Times reported Saturday.

Cantor Fitzgerald employed approximately 1,000 people on the 101, 103, 104 and 105th floors and has accounted for approximately 300 of its employees to date, according to the company's website.

A researcher in the commodities futures department, Klitzman was also a graduate of Columbia University's School of International and Public Affairs, the Times reported.

A memorial service was held yesterday at the Stephen Wise Free Synagogue in Manhattan.

McIlvaine, who majored in English at Princeton, worked for Merrill Lynch's corporate media relations group and was attending a conference on the 106th floor of Tower One Tuesday, according to the Dow Jones news service and the Merrill Lynch website.

"His colleagues at Merrill Lynch will remember his sharp intelligence, bright smile and easy laugh," the Merrill Lynch website reported Friday.

A memorial fund was set up in McIlvaine's name to support scholarships to the University.

The families of Klitzman and McIlvaine could not be reached for comment.

MacRae was on the 93rd floor of the first tower at the time of the attack and has been reported missing, her father, Cameron MacRae '63, said yesterday.

After a brief stint with Goldman, Sachs, MacRae began work for Fred Alger Management in the World Trade Center, her father said.

An economics major, MacRae played squash during her first two years at the University and was a member of Ivy Club.

"All her friends and classmates have been very helpful," Mr. MacRae said of efforts to find his daughter.

In addition to those confirmed missing or dead, several other Princeton alumni may have been in the World Trade Center or the Pentagon on Tuesday. Efforts have been made by classmates and the University to locate those who are still unaccounted for.

Scott Rafferty '76 has spearheaded an independent effort using TigerNet, the online alumni network, to compile a list of possible alumni victims. He has sent the list to Princeton-Matters, an extensive e-mail discussion group comprising Princeton alumni and students.

By searching the alumni records by zip code for alumni who worked in the vicinity of the terrorist attacks — the WTC and Pentagon have their own zip codes — Rafferty has assembled a list of survivors and people he says he believes are missing.

Rafferty's most current list includes three other alumni who are missing in the WTC attack, but there has been no additional confirmation.

Most Popular