President Tilghman modifies nature of office hours

As the 'Prince' accurately reported, I have transferred $25,000 from the President's Fund to the office of the Dean of the College and another $25,000 to the Vice President for Campus Life so that those offices, rather than the President's office, can respond to the kinds of requests for funds that students have been bringing to the President's office in recent years.

These are roughly the amounts that President Shapiro provided in recent years to assist students with academic, extracurricular or personal needs of various kinds. I want to encourage students to continue to come forward with these kinds of requests but to bring them directly to Dean of the College Nancy Malkiel's office (for academic matters) or to Vice President for Campus Life Janet Dickerson's office (for all other matters).

In transferring these funds, I do not do this in any way to discourage students from coming to my office hours for other purposes. In fact, my intent is just the opposite: to encourage students to come in and talk with me about their academic experiences, their activities outside the classroom, their hopes and concerns, their plans for the future or anything else they have on their minds. My office hours are posted on the President's office website (http://web.princeton.edu/pusites/1nassau/princeton/oficehrs/html) and will be advertised in the 'Prince.' I also look forward to a wide range of conversations with students in their colleges and clubs, at campus gatherings and events and even as we walk the same paths across the campus.

As a faculty member, I have greatly valued the opportunities I have had to get to know students both in and out of the classroom. I want to find as many ways as possible to continue to be in regular contact with students now that I have moved into Nassau Hall. Shirley M. Tilghman University President