Week devoted to sexual violence awareness

Purple is the color of April — and the shade of the ribbons being distributed among the University community to publicize Sexual Violence Awareness Month.

The Organization of Women Leaders, Take Back the Night, SHARE and the Department of Public Safety are sponsoring several events this week to promote this cause.

"This is part of a national and international movement," said Women's Center director Susan Overton.

"We want this week to prepare people, to get them started talking about the issue," said Nancy Ippolito '03, co-founder and co-president of OWL.

Murray-Dodge Cafe hosted an open-mic coffeehouse Sunday, showcasing songs, poetry and stories on themes of women's awareness. Hillary Rubin '03, publicity chair for Take Back the Night, described the event as a "forum where people expressed themselves artistically." She added that approximately 25 people gathered to attend the event.

A performance this Thursday by nationally acclaimed slam poetry artist Alix Olson promises to be a highlight of the week. Olson is an activist on issues of sexual violence against women and gay and lesbian rights. Olson won the 1999 OutWrite National Poetry Slam. "She's famous enough that I think she can bring a lot of attention to the cause," said Rubin.

A booklet labeled "Stopping the Silence" will be distributed to accompany Olson's performance. In it, students have anonymously submitted their personal struggles with assault.

"The Women's Center and student organizations have done an excellent job making sure women from a variety of backgrounds are represented," said Vice President for Campus Life Janet Dickerson. "It really adds to everybody's understanding of the community."

The Take Back the Night march this Saturday will mark the culmination of the month's activities. The student-sponsored event commences at 8 p.m. in the University Chapel with speakers and a capella performances. The participants will then join in a candle-lit procession, making stops at various sites across the campus. Individuals are encouraged to take the microphone and share their own experiences.

"The point is to raise the level of dialogue on campus and speak out against violence," Rubin said. "We're hoping to build on last year's positive response. People were really energized by the emotion of the night."

According to Take Back the Night president Brooke Friedman '01, the march has come a long way in recent years. In April 1999, only 12 people participated. Over 250 people showed up for last year's march.

"I'm hoping the community can come together once again to take a stand," Friedman said.

Student and University-run organizations have contributed significantly to the progress of this movement.

"Because of organizations like OWL, [members of the University community] have become more conscious and open to the discussion of women's issues," Ippolito noted. OWL provides an overarching support network for women, inviting inspirational speakers for discussions.

SHARE is a McCosh health center resource for students, faculty and staff that provides counseling on sexual harassment and assault.

"Our goal is to prevent sexual assault," said SHARE interim coordinator Katherine Imhof-Struve. "This is a problem everywhere. Universities in general have more of a problem with acquaintance rape."

During the past two years, there have been two sexual assaults reported at Princeton.

Public Safety Crime Prevention Specialist Barry Weiser.said Public Safety is focusing its efforts to prevent these incidents of violence against women. The department is currently offering a Rape Aggression Defense course. "It you train instinctively to react, you don't have to think. You just react. That is your first line of defense," Weiser said. He confirmed that RAD courses have been offered for the past three years. There is a wait-list for sign-ups and classes are formed as the need arises.

Public Safety officers will attend the ongoing events this week. They will emphasize the importance of locking doors and using caution when accepting drinks from strangers. "We don't necessarily believe that alcohol is the reason for all assaults. There is no excuse for this," Weiser said.

"It continues to be important for us to raise the issue of sexual violence," Overton noted. "People don't think it happens at Princeton. We don't yet have a climate where students feel comfortable talking about it."