University workers and students gather to discuss grievances with PriCom

More than 100 University workers and students attended the meeting of the University Priorities Committee last night to request funding allocations for cost of living adjustments and raises, according to Tim Phillips, a University janitor and member of the SEIU union.

"We want them to hear what we're saying," said Sandy Hambrecht, who has been a University employee for more than 20 years. "We want a [COLA] and fair performance review — not the [pay-for-performance] they use now."

The special meeting of the committee convened at 6:30 p.m. in Betts Auditorium in the School of Architecture. The committee, chaired by Provost Jeremiah Ostriker, includes faculty, undergraduate students and graduate students.

The group of workers and students who attended lined the walls of the auditorium waiting to address the committee. The meeting adjourned at about 8 p.m. after significant discussion, though many workers were still filing into the building after finishing their evening work shift.

"We got off our shifts as fast as we could," said Noah Kaye, a student employee in the Butler and Wilson dining halls. "We made a conscious decision to put this [WROC] button on and we want to be heard. This is important to us — and important to the workers who are supporting families and not making what they should."

Though a large crowd turned out to the open forum, only one person aired negative comments regarding workers' rights. The student, Brad Simmons '03, said he even agrees with most of the WROC platform, but advocated continuing the pay-for-performance plan.

Several University workers explained after the meeting that they do not object to having their performance reviewed, but are concerned with the limited resources allocated to the program and the perceived unfairness of receiving promotions or raises.

"I've been here 25 years and I'm only earning $12 an hour," said one employee after the meeting. Another worker commented "that's nowhere close to the market salaries."

The next step for University workers, according to Hambrecht, is to continue to discuss worker's rights with the administration and work towards the necessary changes.

"We are renegotiating our contracts next year and we will make every effort to get COLA in there," she said. "We need better compensation to [attract new staff and prevent overworking] and unless we get it, students and faculty will start to see it in our services."

The priorities committee said it will consider last night's discussion as well as other written materials submitted by workers and students in its recommendations.