The Princeton Environment

A panel discussion of the University's 2000 Environmental Audit was held on Monday, coinciding with the commencement of Earth Week 2001.

The forum, entitled "Environmental Considerations at Princeton — Past, Present, and Future," addressed both Princeton's ecological successes to date and obstacles to come.

Featured panelists included professor Peter Singer of the Center for Human Values, Vice President for Finance and Administration Richard Spies GS '72, Facilities General Manager of Plant and Services Michael McKay and Outdoor Action director Rick Curtis.

"We wanted an event to draw more attention to the audit's spring release," said Brooke Jack '03, who hosted the discussion and co-prepared the 2000 audit with Elizabeth Bernier '02.

The 2000 audit reexamines sectors evaluated in the Princeton Environmental Reform Committee's original 1995 audit. It assesses changes that have taken place over the five-year interval in areas such as energy and water use, food services and recycling.

"In most cases, any positive changes were for economic reasons. Fortunately, the two often go together — things that save energy also save the University money," Jack said of the new audit's findings.

PERC's analysis is supplemented by recommendations for further reform. Its suggestions incorporate a five percent recycled product purchasing standard, student-controlled heating in dormitories and an ecologically conscious construction policy.

The Environmental Institute received funding for its efforts through a grant from the N.J. Higher Education Partnership for Sustainability. Students in professor Michael Celia's ENV 201: Fundamentals of Environ-mental Studies compiled the data for the 2000 audit.

"The audits never would have happened without student commitment, without their passion for a more environmentally responsible campus," Curtis acknowledged in his speech.

McKay proceeded to present a brief history of the University's response to environmental concerns over the past century.

A cholera epidemic in the 1870s prompted construction of what is today the Elizabethtown water facility. During the 1880s, the University built the first generation of its own steam co-generation plant, a pioneer in its design. In the 1990s, $30 million was invested to replace the existing plant with one of greater capacity and efficiency.

The 1970s marked the largest energy crisis in recent memory. The University encouraged the use of timers and insulation in buildings as conservation measures during these years. Furthermore, a sophisticated, computerized energy management system was installed in the 1980s.

"The motivation [for most changes] was essentially economic, but also a fulfillment of social responsibility," McKay noted.

As a well-endowed academic institution, Princeton is primed for influential action. Spies cited teaching and research facilities as the University's foremost contributions to the environmental movement.

"Tomorrow's leaders are being trained here at Princeton, including scientists, economists and humanists," he said. Spies added that universities by nature tend to evaluate their surroundings and establish goals with a longer-term perspective.

"Princeton has the opportunity to play a leadership role. We have played that role in student financial aid, we can do it in this area as well," Singer said.

Several panel members pointed out that there remains considerable room for improvement beyond the University's current ecological practices. Spies attributed setbacks to a "decentralized decision-making process."

"Where we do less well is where decisions are made by more people," he said. "We depend on many individuals to do the right thing, and it becomes harder to marshall the effort."

Singer expressed added disappointment in what he called the prevalent attitude of "complacency" on campus, particularly concerning waste management and recycling. "I don't see an ethos of thrift or saving at the University. This ought to be a priority for Princeton," he said.

Despite those shortcomings, Spies insisted, "We have made significant progress.

"We will continue to make progress," he added. "A lot of the suggestions are already under consideration or will be fairly quickly."