Q&A with Yale women's golf coach Mary Moan

Four years ago the 'Prince' ran an article on the women's golf team. The headline read "Trio of freshman stars look to help women's golf ease loss of all-time great Moan." Those freshmen are now seniors and they have a much bigger responsibility than easing the loss of Mary Moan. This Saturday and Sunday, Julia Allison, Natalie Christensen and Adrienne Gill hope to capture the Ivy League team championship from the team that Moan began coaching this year — Yale. Coach Moan agreed to answer some questions about playing for Princeton and now coaching for Yale. She recently sat down with 'Prince' Contributor Allison Arensman.

'Prince': Can you describe what it was like to win the first Ivy League championship in women's golf?

MM: At the time, I really didn't realize how notable it was to win the first Ivy League women's golf championship. Honestly, it was just like any other tournament in terms of the field that we competed against — it didn't seem very special at the time. Since then I have realized what an honor it is and that in some way I have contributed to the history of Princeton women's golf and Ivy League women's golf.

P: What was it like for you to capture the championship while your team fell to Yale?

MM: It was bittersweet. I hated losing and I know my teammates did too, especially to Yale! Maybe that's why it didn't impact me as much when I won individually. We had an injury that spring [Laura Gilmore '98] and we truly could have won the Ivy championship with her. By that time in the season, we knew it would take some miraculous play for us to win, although it never diminished our desire to play well as a team.

P: How difficult was it to go from playing for Princeton to coaching the team that has been and continues to be Princeton's greatest rival, particularly in regard to their taking the team title in '97?

MM: It hasn't been difficult. I am invested in the eight women on my team and I'm rooting for them 110 percent. Working with them day in and day out, I have become their biggest fan. I want to see them succeed because I have been through all the ups and downs of practice and competing with them every day since last September. I have a lot of respect for Princeton and [Princeton head coach Eric] Stein, but I remain a competitor who wants to beat the opposing team — no matter what colors they may wear.

P: What are your feelings going into the championships this weekend? How do you think the Tigers and the Elis will match up?

MM: It's going to be a close one. Our girls are ready, and they know that they can beat Princeton. We've been preparing for this all year. The course is a good one for us as it is very similar to Yale and actually shares one of the same golf course architects. However, the Tigers do have three seniors who I know are gunning for a title before they graduate. Princeton has a good combination of underclassmen and upperclassmen on the current team. My girls have their eyes on the NCAA regional bid — another milestone for Ivy League women's golf. The Bulldogs know they will be making history by winning another championship and by earning the first ever automatic NCAA Regional bid.

P: What will it be like to go up against coach Stein, your former coach?

MM: We've gone head-to-head a couple of times this year, and it is always fun. I know that both of us will be a little more serious when the weekend rolls around but at the end of the day we will shake hands and congratulate one another. We are always pulling for one another. Of course, I hope he finishes second.

P: Do you ever feel even just a little guilty about going over to the Dark Side?

MM: The Dark Side, ha! I think that when it comes down to it I enjoy competing. I never feel remorseful when we beat Princeton. Tom Beckett and the rest of the Yale athletics staff have given me every possible means to help this program to succeed. It is truly an exciting team for Yale athletics and Yale women's golf. I'm glad that I can go along for the ride.

P: Can you describe what you consider the highlight of your time at Princeton — golf related or not?

MM: I guess there are a couple of highlights. Making it to NCAAs my senior year and being named an All-American, finishing my thesis and realizing what an accomplishment that was (and finishing right after spring break so I could concentrate on golf!), [and] the many friendships that have continued to play a large part in my life after college.