Letters to the Editor

'Prince' presents no proof against Horowitz

I have read Horowitz's ad (elsewhere, previously) and found it well thought-out.

You characterize his ad as racist in your spineless "apology" for running his ad — yet without presenting one scintilla of proof for doing so. Can you say "leftist smear tactic?" Well, Princetonian editors, I am pleased to see that you are faithfully toeing the PC-leftist-Marxist line required of all campus newspapers and faculty members today. What courage! What original thought!

At least you ran the ad! For that I DO congratulate you — that is for not YET having sunk to the level of Fidel Castro or Josef Stalin (although you appear to be working on that)!

Oh, how "racist" (does the term have ANY meaning anymore — other than "opponent of Marxian groupthink?") of Horowitz to imply that a black student residing in Little Hall and studying engineering at Princeton is in some small way better off than the average citizen of Zimbabwe.

Racist indeed! M. R. O'Donnell '74

Arab apathy does not pardon Israeli behavior

At Edward Said '57's lecture on Thursday, one audience member asked a rhetorical question that I can only paraphrase, to the effect of, "What were Arab states ostensibly friendly to the Palestinian cause doing before 1967 when no Israeli occupation of the West Bank, Gaza or Jerusalem existed?"

The cynical tone with which the question was delivered and the contentious exchange that followed both suggest that Arab apathy on the Palestinian question prior to 1967 somehow excuses Israeli aggression against civilians or its current siege of the West Bank.

It may be true that Jordan failed to push for a Palestinian state pursuant to United Nations Resolutions and British post-colonial policy on land Jordan had annexed. This does not change the fact that Israel continues to illegally flout UNSC resolutions regarding the return of land taken in 1967. The hypocrisy of the Hashemite monarchy does nothing to excuse Israel's behavior. Daniel Grin '03