Horowitz to debate Lewis on reparations for slavery

In an effort to foster a dialogue on slave reparations among students, Whig-Clio is hosting a debate between David Horowitz and Dorothy B. Lewis tonight in McCosh 50 at 7 p.m.

Horowitz, author of the controversial ad "Ten Reasons Why Reparations for Slavery is a Bad Idea — and Racist Too," and Lewis, co-chair of the National Coalition of Blacks for Reparations in America, previously debated at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology on April 4.

"There was already a lot of discussion on campus," Whig-Clio president Jon Ophardt '03 said. "To bring it to the fullest extent we wanted to bring [the debate] to campus, not just on the pages of The Daily Princetonian." The ad — which has provoked protests and editorials across the country — has run in 28 out of 73 college newspapers to which it was submitted, according to Frontpagemagazine.com, a website Horowitz edits.

The 'Prince' ran the ad on April 4 with an accompanying editorial, which Ophardt said served as a catalyst for bringing the debate to the University.

"We had thought about bringing the debate to campus before the 'Prince' ran it," Ophardt said.

Princeton College Democrats is joining the Black Student Union in an effort to protest Horowitz's argument.

"We are encouraging College Democrats to go [to the debate] to express disapproval with Horowitz's contentions," College Democrats co-president Adam Frankel '03 said. "We are going to wear black to show disapproval."

College Democrats does not have an official position at this time on the issue of reparations, Frankel said, because "there is nowhere near a consensus among Democrats about whether reparations are good or bad.

"The conclusion of [Horowitz's] argument one can disagree with or not," Frankel said, "but I think Dems will find some parts of his argument offensive."

BSU president Salih Eissa '03 said members of his organization would be in "visible protest of Horowitz's ignorance."

Eissa emphasized that the BSU is not protesting Whig-Clio's decision to host the debate, but rather voicing its opinion that "Horowitz's impositions are not appreciated" by the black community at Princeton.

Like College Democrats, the BSU has not taken a stance on whether reparations are right or wrong and is encouraging students to attend the debate.

Horowitz and Lewis have prepared opening statements of five minutes to be followed by two-minute rebuttals from each speaker, according to Ophardt.

"We have encouraged [Horowitz and Lewis] to focus on race reparations in their statements," he said.

Whig-Clio will also hold a lengthy question period following the debate to allow for issues sparked by the advertisement — such as journalistic integrity and freedom of the press — to be discussed in addition to issues raised during the debate.

The audience will be asked to write questions for either or both the speakers, which will then be selected by a panel after the debate has been started.

"The questions will go through our own organization rather than at random," Ophardt explained. "We are not going to screen questions."

In addition, Whig-Clio has organized a separate panel discussion after the debate. Several student leaders, including USG president Joe Kochan '02 and Eissa, will discuss the debate and answer questions at 9 p.m.