McCaffrey's serves up free delivery

Since Rishi Sanyal '02 moved into Spelman as an "independent" this fall, he has added a new and challenging task to his "to-do" list — buying groceries.

Throughout the year, Sanyal and his roommates — none of whom have their own cars — have relied on their parents, neighbors and local buses to drive them to nearby food stores.

But a new offer cooked up by the campus and community affairs committee and McCaffrey's Market promises to provide the recipe for solving Sanyal's dining dilemma.

McCaffrey's — which has local stores in Princeton and West Windsor — is now offering all students free next-day delivery on orders over $25.

Students can access McCaffrey's webpage and order groceries online — or by telephone — using credit cards, campus and community affairs chair Nina Langsam '03 said.

Though the website will still list a delivery charge, when students use the "Student name/Princeton student" format to enter their names, the market will know to remove the charge. All deliveries will be made Monday through Friday from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Students living off campus will have to show a PUID to obtain the discount.

"This will revolutionize independent living on campus because it makes being independent a viable option for students who don't want to join eating clubs," said Langsam, who orchestrated the deal at the suggestion of assistant dean of undergraduate students Tom Dunne.

The campus and community affairs committee expects the free delivery policy to serve as a convenient alternative to the now-defunct supermarket shuttle, which was discontinued this year.

Students like Sanyal are more than grateful for the welcome deliverance from their supermarket struggles.

"[Usually] one of my roommates ends up taking a bus and carrying food back in plastic bags, so it's pretty annoying," said Sanyal, who re-drew into Spelman for his senior year. "[Free delivery] would be convenient."

McCaffrey's vice president Mark Eckhouse said he hopes the new policy will unite the supermarket and the University in "a great marriage."

"Having a college student myself, I know that the thing they love to do best is eat," joked Eckhouse.

"We're just as happy to serve you students as we are to serve all our other customers," he said.

A variety of other area businesses have added their names to the list of what Hector Olaya — who owns Pizza Colore and Nassau Bagel Company — calls "student friendly" establishments.

"My businesses have always thrived off the student population," said Olaya, who in the past has generously donated to University reunions, meetings and other special events. "So I have always given back in whatever way I could."

Olaya said he is pleased to offer students 20-percent discounts on all orders — including pizza delivery — at his two Nassau Street restaurants.

"To give back through discounts, I don't blink an eye," he said.

Langsam said the committee is working to secure additional discounts and to institute a policy where businesses offering student incentives can place a "PUID welcome" sticker in their windows. They are also planning to feature a business or restaurant of the week in the weekly USG e-mail.

"I'm very enthusiastic about the discounts because students always complain about the [high] prices at local stores and restaurants," said Langsam.

"It's a way to reach out to graduate students [as well]," she added. "We're trying to work for everyone on campus."