Madness in March: Tar Heels? Tigers? Tigers? Tar Heels?

I never thought Greg Gumbel could break my heart.

But last Sunday it happened. As basketball teams across the nation anxiously waited to learn their postseason fate, Gumbel was announcing the NCAA tournament brackets on CBS.

When the final bracket came up on the screen, I lost my mind. If you happened to be walking by 48 University Place last Sunday at 6:45 p.m., you probably heard my screams.

Picking up snacks at the U-Store? You probably heard me too.

My father, luckily, knew who it would be when he picked up the phone to incoherent shrieking at the other end.

"Breathe, Sara, breathe."

"Carolina-Princeton!!!! What am I going to do?? It's too far away! I can't go! I can't go! I HAVE to go, Dad. I HAVE to. AHHHHH!!!!"

Despite my serious lack of funds, I knew I had to try to get to New Orleans. Even if I had to walk.

Perhaps I should preface this tale.

I live for March.

I have been a college basketball fan as long as I can remember. I grew up listening to my mom screaming at the television, and as soon as I was old enough to understand and love the game, I joined in.

My mother, a UNC fanatic, raised me to be a Tar Heel zealot. Baptized in the River Jordan, I grew up worshipping at the altar of the Four Corners of Dean Smith, and lighting candles for prophets Worthy, Perkins and Ford (not to mention for patron saints Stackhouse, Jamison, and Carter).

So when it came time to pick a college, one of my biggest requirements was that it have a good basketball team. I thought I'd pick up the voodoo magic of the "Princeton offense" —lighting incense for the backdoor cut and the long-range bomb. You might say that I was Born Again to another side of Paradise.

But far from being forced to foreswear my oath to Carolina, Princeton was a logical choice, because I could root for Goliath half the time, David the other, and never the twain would meet. They existed in different levels of the firmament.

You see, God may have gone to Princeton, but He's obviously a Tar Heel fan. Otherwise, why would the sky be Carolina blue?

If even God is conflicted in his loyalties, what am I to do?

In my college basketball dream world, there were three things I wanted prior to Sunday night: to see Carolina play live, to go to the NCAA tournament, and to see Princeton in the Big Dance while I was an undergrad. Suddenly, when the last bracket flashed on the screen, all three things merged into one game, one desire.

But it was a game halfway across the country, and I thought I couldn't go.

One flash of that CBS screen, and Gumbel broke my heart.

In the midst of my heartbroken cries, my dad convinced me to go down to Jadwin, where they were selling tickets, on the off chance I could find a way to New Orleans.

But getting to the Big Easy wasn't the only challenge.

I took off at a full sprint, still keening.

Ran back to my room, halfway across campus, in flipflops.

No prox — climbed in the window.

Grabbed my keys and ran out to my bike, which had not moved from the Cuyler courtyard since it arrived there in September.

Carried the bike down three flights of stairs, just past Wu Hall.

Pedaled like a madwoman towards the gym.

Realized that I still didn't have my prox, but I was already in between the Mol Bio buildings.

Needed prox to buy tickets.

Turned the bike around.

Bike chain broke into two pieces.

Fell to the ground.

BIKE CHAIN BROKE INTO TWO PIECES AND FELL TO THE GROUND.

What broke down next was me.

Finally, I arrived at Jadwin, after throwing my cursed bike to the ground, huffing and puffing breathlessly and in a total panic.

Still prox-less, and having experienced customer service Princeton style, I had my U-Store card along with about five other IDs ready when I ran up to the ticket counter. I showed these to the woman behind the desk, all the while explaining exactly why I HAD to get to this game.

I think she sold me the ticket so I would go away.

And so, with the help of a six-month-early birthday present from my dad, I'm going to be on a plane Thursday to New Orleans.

I've been a Carolina fan my entire life. I've only been a Princeton fan for two and a half years.

And now everyone's asking me just one question.

"Who are you rooting for?"