Letters to the Editor

Students should value reading assignments, however long

While Ryan Salvatore '02's column of March 26 probably demonstrates the plight of some unfortunate Princeton students, I would be loathe to apply his opinion to the majority of the student body. He complains that to complete all the readings for a particular class would be an "exception" on this campus and recommends that professors thin out their assigned readings by "being more selective" and by only presenting "the most important literature." But it seems like "the most important literature" is already included, even if it amounts to a couple hundred pages each week.

Professor Gary Bass describes his assignments as "great stuff," "classics," "the best new . . . ideas," and "the most compelling . . . accounts."

If Bass were to excise choice readings from his weekly assignments, Salvatore would then gripe that he was being deprived of documents of critical importance.

Salvatore continues by saying that completing assignments for one course often occurs at the expense of another. He makes it seem as if this is the overwhelming sentiment of the student population. If it really is, he does not prove it. If it is not, then his column is merely an expression of his frustrating time management skills.

He says he does nearly all his reading. That's good. He should be thankful to have the opportunity to read so many good books. And he says he wants to be challenged, so he should gladly view his duty to his weekly reading as a challenge — and not a chore. He could spend that time reading which he would otherwise use to pen statements which insult and embarrass his peers, professors and himself. Nathaniel Norman '03

Rollerblading should not be prohibited on campus

My name is Michael Karp. I'm 12 years old. I'm the son of a librarian at Princeton. This school vacation I was rollerblading on campus with my friend while my mother was working. All of a sudden we were stopped by two security guards saying that there was no rollerblading on campus. I can understand why skateboarding would not be allowed on campus because you cannot control the skateboard. But with rollerblades you can slow down and stop easily. If the guards are so concerned about safety, why don't they make all the bikers wear helmets? I have never seen a biker on campus wear one. Michael Karp