Cigarette ads targeting minors light up protest

Concealed by "Marlboro Man skull" masks, a small group of student and local activists took to the streets of Princeton to protest cigarette advertising aimed at minors.

The march began near the house of John Reed, a visiting professor at the Univer-sity and member of the Philip Morris Board of Directors. The group intended to present Reed with 1000 messages from various individuals and petitions requesting an end to child-oriented advertising in the tobacco industry.

"We're hoping John Reed will use his influence within Philip Morris to stop targeting children in industry ads," said Patti Lynn, associate campaign director of Infact — a Boston-based action group.

After gathering in front of Reed's unoccupied home in town, the group walked down Nassau Street and through campus to the Bendheim Finance Center, where Reed has an of-fice.

Not finding him in his office, the group presented petitions and messages to Reed's secretary, who, according to Lynn, will forward them to Reed.

The group included University students, Rutgers University students, community members and representatives from the American Lung Association, among others, according to Lynn.

David Madden '03 explained he participated in the march to promote awareness about the dangers of smoking.

"The purpose of this march was to focus attention on the Marlboro Man and the targeting of children in tobacco ads," Madden said.

"I got involved because I read an article in the International Herald Tribune that said one billion people will die next century from smoking-related illness. That was just such a shocking figure, something in my conscience made me act," he said.

Lynn said her group is always looking for opportunities to promote awareness in the community, though there are no specific plans for future events.

"We definitely want to seek more opportunities," Lynn said. "We also need other people of influence to help us in different ways."