Students evaluate 4-year residential college proposal

Independent students, often lost in the shuffle of Spelman and Two Dickinson room draw, may soon have alternative housing and dining options.

Though its effect on eating club membership is uncertain, the proposed four-year residential college — which will not likely be implemented for several years — will provide independents with the opportunity for a residential college living experience during their upper-class years.

Some students greet the proposal as a needed change to the current two-year college system. "I don't regularly see many of the people I used to see on a daily basis because we are all spread out on campus," said Christopher Nam '01, who lived in Mathey freshman and sophomore year. "Being in close proximity to each other really helps to foster friendships and keep them going."

Other students see the extension of the residential college experience as a restraint on opportunities. "The way I see it, all the colleges do now is force you into more restrictive dining options, and keep you separated from the rest of the school," Stephen Cooper '01 said. "I don't believe being in a residential college for my first two years here benefited me at all."

Many students, however, say they cannot be sure whether a four-year college is right for them until the specific location and structure of the college is announced.

"I would consider joining a four-year college if the location were convenient and if I weren't required to buy a meal plan," said Lauren Cusick '02. "The benefits, if the four-year college is supposed to be like regular residential colleges, include familiarity, identity, social events and a nearby dining hall."

Independent students claim the amenities and location of a four-year residential college will drastically impact the number of students who take advantage of the planned facilities.

Students also see other important determinants in their decision, such as dining options and meal plans. "I would like to see any number of improvements in terms of eating options for upperclassmen," Cusick said. "Dining hall and eating club cooperation is one of many good ideas."

Nam agreed, noting he "wouldn't be able to stand dining hall food for my whole college experience."

"The food isn't bad; the same food every week just gets very boring. So for that reason, I would want to have the current upper-class dining options if I were to live in a residential college," he said.

The success of the proposed four-year residential college system, according to these independent students, will depend on its implementation.