GSG seeks graduate alumni trustees

The Graduate U-Council presented a proposal this week to the Council of the Princeton University Committee to include young graduate alumni on the University's board of trustees.

This proposal has been endorsed by both the Graduate U-Council and the Graduate Student Government and is now under consideration by the board of trustees.

Karthick Ramakrishnan GS, a member of the GSG and the originator of the proposal, said he believes that young graduate alumni will "provide both the necessary skills and energy, as well as a general concern with the overall University community."

He cited the increased participation of graduate students in various campus affairs in the past few years as evidence of wider integration.

"In addition, graduate alumni and enrolled graduate students will have a greater sense of institutional loyalty because they are being incorporated into the governing decisions of the institution," he said.

"This is an important way to capture the loyalty and talent of the 18,000 graduate school alumni," he added.

Four seats on the 40-member board are reserved for young undergraduate alumni, a policy that was initiated in response to the 1969 student protests. Each spring, current juniors and seniors, along with members of the last two graduating classes, elect a senior to a four-year trusteeship.

"This system fosters a connection between current undergraduates and graduates just as the seniors are looking forward to leaving Princeton," Ramakrishnan said.

"We want to replicate that and to take advantage of capturing the dynamism and energy of those in Princeton now and those about to leave," he added.

The board is required to have only one graduate school alumnus among the 40 members. There are currently two graduate alumni trustees on the board, including University president Shapiro.

Provost Jeremiah Ostriker attended Monday's presentation and expressed his support for more graduate alumni involvement on the board.

"In terms of increased representation for graduate students on the board, there is no question that I am in favor of this, as is every group I know of," he said.

University Vice President and Secretary Tom Wright '62 believes the proposal contains good ideas and says there is strong interest in it.

"The primary goals are to develop ways of having the distinct perspectives, interests and concerns of graduate education reflected in the decisions of the board," he said. "The best way to do that is through representation."

Still under debate are questions of eligibility and selection. According to Ramakrishnan, the GSG favors who the two new positions be reserved for graduate school alumni that have graduated within the past five years.

They propose that the positions be staggered, replacing one graduate alumni trustee every two years. Similar to the current young undergraduate alumni policy, they support direct election by current graduate students and recent alumni.

Ostriker said that while "there is something to be said for enfranchisement, [through direct elections by graduate students], there is also something to be said for the board taking responsibility for picking the trustees themselves."

"The advantage of recent alumni is that they know better what the [student] life is like, whereas older alumni can offer greater knowledge, influence and resources. Both groups can contribute in different ways," he added.

Lauren Hale GS, Chair of the GSG and co-author of the proposal, said that the University would benefit more by having trustees who have graduated within the past two to five years, but that "the GSG would welcome any wider incorporation of graduate alumni."

David Linsenmeier GS, the third co-author, expects a response from the board of trustees next week. "I have a strong sense that the administration and trustees will take our proposal seriously," he said. "It's quite likely that there will be an increase in graduate student representation."