Eating club officials consider possible effects of sixth college

Club officials are examining the Sixth College Program Committee's interim report — which was released last week — and are evaluating the impact a new four-year residential college may have on eating club membership.

"We need to take a hard look at the proposals," said Terrace Club president Clay Whitehead '02. "Keeping all of the clubs viable options for their members and making sure the membership [rolls] are full are two of the most important things that need to be addressed in planning a four-year residential college."

Many students are concerned a partial shift of upperclass dining options will pull students away from the clubs. Committee Chair and University Vice President and Secretary Thomas Wright '62, however, said in an interview Monday that no decisions have been made, and the committee is interested in gauging student opinion before its presentation to the University Board of Trustees.

The committee's plan recommends the University construct a new residential college and transform possibly three of the existing colleges into four-year residential colleges.

As the committee continues to meet with different groups on campus, students will learn the details regarding the plan and will be able to develop their opinions.

ICC chairman Dan Winn '01 said, "As the University considers options for designing a four-year college system, I think it's important that [student] choice be a guiding principle."

Most club officials do not deny there may be some upperclass interest in residential college life, but they are concerned the level and extent of the plan may negatively impact the clubs.

"There are certainly some students who may desire to take their meals in a residential college for four years, but most would like the option of joining a club and experiencing that part of Princeton life," Winn said. "To deprive them of that would eliminate one of the wonderful things that makes Princeton so unique."

Others view the committee's proposals as potentially beneficial to the campus community and eating club system.

"The sixth residential college will not have a negative effect on the eating clubs in any way," said Charter Club president Lindsay Michelotti '02.

"As I see it, there is a large number of students now who see the eating clubs as their only viable eating option for their junior and senior years, and therefore join a club even though they are not completely happy about it. I think the sixth residential college will fill the needs of students like these perfectly," she said.

Regardless of their opinions, student leaders are pleased to have the opportunity to discuss the program and possibly affect its implementation.

"[The 'Street' has] a strong, positive relationship with the administration," Whitehead said. "I appreciate their openness during the planning process as well as their understanding of the importance of the clubs to alums and students alike."

The Graduate Inter-Club Council will also have an opportunity to discuss the committee's proposal for four-year residential colleges at their regularly scheduled meeting today.

The meeting, to be attended by Wright, will allow club officials to learn more about the proposals and allow administrators to garner additional feedback.