Strike deadline nears in U-Store talks

November 16, 1982 — With less than two weeks left before the employees' self-imposed strike deadline, union and management officials of the University Store yesterday expressed slim hopes of ironing out a contract by Thanksgiving.

And, at a District 65 membership meeting last night, employees were expected to agree upon a date for a strike vote. Union officials have already said they would seriously consider striking if no agreement is reached by the end of the month.

With only one more bargaining session scheduled before Thanksgiving, it now appears that the store's management is bracing itself for a strike of the store's 100-plus employees. "It is very possible - even probable - that a work stoppage might occur," said Harry Reagan, the Philadelphia-based lawyer representing U-Store manager Donald C. Broderick at the barganing tables. "We are so far apart that I don't have any optimism that we're going to settle."

Pie in the sky

"They are way up in the clouds in their expectations," Reagan added.

Officials of United Auto Workers District 65, which unionized the store in July because of perceived poor working conditions, and the U-Store management have set a negotiating session for this Friday at 9 a.m. The two sides have been meeting before federal mediator Paul Buckley periodically during the past three weeks.

However, Ginny Mazzei, the employees' liaison to the union, said yesterday that she does not expect management to bargain in good faith with the union on Friday.

"I don't believe that they're serious about negotiating with us," Mazzei said, alleging that Reagan has only allocated five-and-a-half hours for the Friday session.

"I think we're being played with," she said. "I see this as a very serious problem."

But Reagan said yesterday that management realizes the urgency of the situation.

"(Mazzei) can make all the accusations she wants to," Reagan said. "I simply disagree with her. There's no doubt that we've reached a very critical stage of negitations."

But Reagan did agree that it appears unlikely that management will substantially alter its offerings to the union on Friday.

"We basically have everything on the table that's available to us," he said.

Buckley, of the Trenton-based Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, said he will not be swayed by accusations and threats of a strike.

"We will be meeting at nine o'clock on Friday," he said. "What matters to me is what transpires in the conference room. What is said prior to that does not influence me."

Turkey time

"The union declared last week that its deadline for a negotiated contract is Thanksgiving, after which time a strike would be imminent. If a strike should occur, it would coincide with the store's pre-Christmas rush.

However, manager Broderick has said in the past that the store can continue to operate during a strike.

And Reagan said yesterday that the prospect of a strike does not frighten him.

"Nobody likes to see a strike," he said, "but merely desiring it not to happen doesn't cause you to change what you have out on the table."

Should a strike occur, it would mark the first time in the store's 78-year history that a job action occured there. The store's management has not disclosed exactly how it would deal with a strike.

Meanwhile, a student group supporting the union met last night with union officials, but the results of that meeting were not disclosed. Members of this group, which staged a demonstration two weeks ago along with union officials that forced the store to close early, have said that they will stand by the employees if they should elect to strike.