Princeton Elated Over Gov. Wilson's Election

Unrestrained enthusiasm attended the announcement to an enormous crowd in Alexander Hall last night that Governor Wilson had obtained more than enough electoral votes to secure his election as President of the United States.

From eight-thirty till the final announcement of Dr. Wilson's election shortly after eleven o'clock Alexander Hall was packed to the doors to hear the returns over a special wire under the auspices of the Daily Princetonian, The Woodrow Wilson Club, The Taft Club and The Roosevelt Club. Each announcement of the returns for Dr. Wilson increased the enthusiasm of which reached pandemonium when his election was finally assured.

LARGE P-RADE FORMED

The crowd immediately formed outside the building and marched to Prospect where President Hibben addressed the gathering and expressed his pleasure and gratification upon the great honor that has been conferred upon a Princeton graduate and announced "a holiday in honor of this notable event." The monster P-rade formed of the crowd in and overflowing around Alexander Hall then proceded to Governor Wilson's house.

President-elect Woodrow Wilson '79 received the large crowd of undergraduates and townspeople at the doorway to his home and delivered an address.

PLEA TO UNDERGRADUATES

Governor Wilson said in part:

"Gentlemen, I am sincerely glad that to see you. I can't help thinking this evening that something has only begun which you will have a great part in carrying forward., There is so much to reconstruct and the reconstruction must be undertaken so justly by slow process of common counsel, that a generation or two must be achieved. The lesson of this election is a lesson of responsibility.

"I believe that a great cause has triumphed, but a cause can not go forward by the activities of a single man or a single Congress, it must be done by lonmg efforts. I summon you for the rest of your lives to work to set this government forward by processes of justice, equity and fairness.

"I myself have no feeling of triumph tonight, I have a feeling of solemn responsibility. I know that a great task lies ahead of the men associated with me and ahead of myself. Therefore I hope that your purest impulses will stand behind me and support the generous men of the new administration."

PRESIDENT HIBBEN'S SPEECH

To the large P-rade which assembled at Prospect before the march was made to Governor Wilson's home, President Hibben spoke in part as follows. "It is undeed an unusual pleasure that has come to me tonight. I see that you are bearers of glad tidings for Princeton University. Standing on the threshold of Prospect, where for nearly ten years Dr. Wilson administered the affairs of this University, I am glad indeed to hear of the greatest honor that has come to this our most distinguished Alumnus. I know you are stirred to the depths of your feelings on this occasion: and I am glad you will go into the world to assume the real responsibilities of citizenship.

Woodrow Wilson's name will now go down in the annals of Princeton University along with that other great Princeton man who has held the highest office in the gift of his fellow citizens; I speak of James Madison. Princeton is glad of this enthusiasm; she expects you to put this into your everyday life."