Freshmen select officers in run-off

The votes have been sorted and counted: Eli Goldsmith and Rishi Jaitly will assume the presidency and vice presidency of the freshman class after a two-day runoff election, the USG announced yesterday.

Fifty percent of the freshman class voted in the elections, choosing between Goldsmith and Nicole Apollon for president and Jaitly and Emily Minkow for vice president.

After being notified yesterday evening, Goldsmith said, "I'm tremendously excited . . . Just getting [into Princeton] was such an honor and such a shock — [Winning the class election] is almost too good to be true."

Jaitly also said he was excited to take on his new responsibilities and meet the students and other class officers with whom he will be working. He said he was "thankful to those who went and voted, to those who told others to vote for me."

Regarding his opponent, he added, "I want to congratulate Minkow . . . and wish her the best in whatever else she does."

Both Goldsmith and Jaitly projected enthusiasm while speaking about their plans for the school year. Jaitly reaffirmed his commitment to his campaign promises, stressing his desire to unite freshmen across campus through class-wide activities.

Goldsmith also highlighted his desire to hit the ground running, noting that he wanted to get in touch with the Class of 2004's parent and grandparent classes — alumni of 25 and 50 years, respectively. He said he hopes to coordinate internship and job opportunities for freshmen through these connections.

Goldsmith said he foresees a quick start for the new freshman class government and hopes to hold a first meeting and begin constructing an agenda as quickly as possible, perhaps even next week.