Despite new fee, auditors continue to turn out for University classes in strong numbers

Instituted officially last year, the University's community auditing program is thriving this fall among local residents despite the required $50 registration fee per class.

Though town residents have been attending University course lectures for years, the formal auditing program was established to cover administrative fees and course materials, said Pam Hersh, director of community and state affairs.

According to Hersh, 674 people — who are mostly senior citizens — signed up for the program this semester, though about 100 may have dropped out because of classes being closed to auditors.

Before the program officially began, auditors sometimes caused problems for students and faculty. When auditors take handouts prepared by professors, sometimes not enough remain for undergraduates enrolled in a course. And in classes with a large number of auditors, some undergraduates may find themselves without seats in lecture.

By asking auditors to register and specifying which classes they can attend, the University has been able to address some of these problems, Hersh said. In addition, the auditing program allows professors to communicate better with all participants, she added.

Auditors attend lectures — selected from the community auditing lecture list — with undergraduate students. They do not usually sit in on precepts, labs or seminars, though some professors have been open to the idea. English lecturer Anne Sobel has made a precept available for auditors in one of her courses.

Hersh said "the most popular classes have been in the areas of art, history, politics, religion, English and music." These departments have had to turn away potential auditors in the past because of over-enrollment, she said.

Overall, the auditing experience has been a positive one for most involved with the program.

Lillian Glogau, an auditor of 14 years, called the opportunity to take University classes a "wonderful privilege." She said it has been "very special watching the students over the years" and gaining insight into what they are doing.

The number of auditors in each class is limited to ensure there will be enough seats in lecture halls and there will not be more auditors than students. Auditor participation is usually higher in the fall because many of the auditors go to Florida during the spring term, Hersh said.

Previously, auditors could register by mail, but for the upcoming spring semester they will be required to register in person to avoid over-enrollment in classes, Hersh said. Once a class has reached its maximum number of auditors, no more will be allowed to enroll.

This number is determined by several factors, including the number of undergraduates in a class, the number of available seats in the lecture hall and the number of auditors the course professor is willing to admit.

In-person registration for the spring semester will take place at the Frist Campus Center on Dec. 12, 13 and 14. The fee will remain $50, though it will increase to $75 in 2001.

Auditing is free for University alumni and their spouses, docents of the Art Museum, University faculty and staff, graduate students and their spouses and retired members of the faculty and staff and their spouses.