Fifth crow in Mercer County tests positive for West Nile virus

State laboratory officials in Trenton announced Friday that they had found another crow in Mercer County infected with the West Nile virus, bringing the total count to five.

No infected mosquitoes have been found in Mercer County, though there have been eight infected mosquito pools confirmed in Bergen, Middlesex and Monmouth counties.

University officials met with Mercer County and regional representatives Thursday to discuss the spread and control of the West Nile virus, according to Donald Robassor of University Environmental Health and Services.

"We met with the representatives of the Mercer County Mosquito Control Division and Health Department to find out what the routine is for notifying them of mosquito problems in our area," Robassor said.

The University, though it is not licensed to use the advanced larvacides and sprays employed by the Mosquito Control Division, continuously surveys the campus to detect potential mosquito breeding areas, Robassor said. When a potentially hazardous area is located, the University notifies the local health department, which contacts the Mercer County Mosquito Control Division.

Increased spraying

The Mosquito Control Division, at the request of local municipalities and citizens, has increased spraying and mosquito control efforts since the first discovery of infected crows in Mercer County last month, said Tom Rabino, Mercer County's director of communications and policy. "We did increase some spraying in the area," he said. "We have a very aggressive program."

To prevent the spread of the West Nile virus, the county uses three methods of insect control, Robassor said. The two most commonly used are growth inhibitors that prevent the development of larvae and a spray targeting mosquito larvae.

"The larvacide is really an oil spray that's applied to pools of standing water," he said. "It suffocates and actually kills the larva."

The third control is aerial or truck-based spraying of insecticide, which Robassor said is not being used on the University campus.

"The truck spraying and space spraying is not routine and is the last mechanism that is used," said Robassor, adding that "there is always more concern about space spraying."