University continues ground-breaking construction campaign

Freshmen might want to consider buying hard hats as well as Princeton t-shirts and banners when they make their purchases at the U-Store this fall.

While construction of the Wallace Social Science Center and the Lake Carnegie boathouse — as well as renovations to Blair Hall, Frist Campus Center, Joseph Henry House and Dial Lodge — will finish in August, other projects will commence this summer and continue during the school year.

With the University in the midst of a massive dormitory renovation project, Little Hall — the long, snaking gothic structure that housed Rockefeller and Mathey college residents this year — will undergo renovations. Though Dillon Gym arch will remain open, the University plans to close off the courtyard near Little and Edwards halls.

Renovations on the interior of the U-Store also are under way. The remodeling will include the addition of a convenience store in the building's basement. Construction is slated to be completed by Sept. 1 in time for returning students' arrival on campus.

Further up campus, exterior restoration on Princeton's imposing, yet majestic, chapel will continue in the fall. The University is scheduled to complete work on the chapel's east and south sides in December and erect scaffolding in February to begin the second phase of renovations on the north and west sides. The project involves restoration of the chapel's masonry and stained glass windows.

Across Washington Road, construction will continue next year on the Friend Engineering Center adjacent to the computer science building.

The University will break ground on the new genomics center in the near future. The facility will occupy part of Poe Field, which students use for intramural sports. Across the road from Poe Field and behind Baker Rink, the University hopes to complete construction of a parking garage in November.

In addition, 185 Nassau Street — the home of the creative writing, dance, theater and visual arts programs — will undergo renovations to its attic to create more studio space.