Students demand Swahili class

After much debate by the administration, the University has decided to offer an introductory Swahili course again in the fall.

Associate Dean of the College Hank Dobin announced that the class would make an encore appearance next year after weeks of protest by outraged students who opposed the University's initial decision to discontinue the class.

The course will be administered under the African-American studies program next fall as a one-time course rather than as a student-initiated seminar. Fourteen students have expressed interest in taking the class.

Dobin had previously cited lack of funding as the reason for canceling the course, which was offered for the first time this year. But he said recently that additional funds from the Provost's office would enable the University to offer the course for a second time.

"We found the resources, and there seemed to be student demand," he said. "With the additional funds, there was really no reason not to do it."

Religion professor Ephraim Isaac, who teaches the Swahili course, said he was pleased with the University's final decision. He explained that offering African language courses enhances the University's curriculum.

"It is important that we have some sort of respectful attitude to [African] cultures," Isaac said. "Princeton can become a greater institution only when its door is open to African cultures as well as other cultures."