SVC's Youth Reach 2000 celebrates talents, interests of local children

A younger breed of students has been populating the University this week, doing everything from kicking around soccer balls to reading original poetry.

The events are part of the Student Volunteers Council's Youth Reach 2000, which offers area students of all ages the opportunity to participate in a variety of activities in concert with the University, culminating in Communiversity on Saturday.

"The main purpose of Youth Reach is to celebrate the talents of youth in the community and to bring University students in contact with students in the community," coordinator Laura Kaplan '01 said. "Instead of viewing service work as fulfilling needs, we wanted to look at service as mobilizing the assets of the community."

A "battle of the bands" on Sunday kicked off the week, featuring performances by bands from the University and also from Princeton and West Windsor high schools. Tomorrow, an "open mic" show will give high school students a chance to share their talents with University students, and Trenton elementary school students will take the field for a soccer game with their Princeton counterparts Friday.

Mutual benefits

Kaplan noted that participating in the week's events benefits everyone involved. "[University] students get a lot out of seeing kids in the community. We forget how talented they are," she said. "Youth Reach brings kids to campus to exhibit their talents."

The program, formerly called Youth at Risk Awareness Week, changed its name last year in an attempt to create a more positive image, Kaplan explained.

"It's more than just raising awareness," said Clare Levy '01, who helped organize the week's activities. "We're trying to reverse a little of the apathy on campus by reminding people that there is a world of people out there beyond our own."

The week also recognizes individuals' academic interests and abilities, Levy said. Students from Trenton's Proctor Academy visited classes at the University Monday morning, and University students will lead tours through the "Walk Through Time . . . from Stardust to Us" display at the end of the week.

The "Walk Through Time" is a mile-long, 90-panel exhibit tracing five billion years of the earth's history. It has been displayed at sites worldwide and will be on campus from Thursday to Saturday.

The Youth Reach program also has given University students the chance to learn about professions involving children. "Sesame Street" writer Annie Evans spoke yesterday, highlighting her favorite clips from the show, Levy said. Tonight, a panel of five professionals will speak about their jobs, ranging from pediatrics to counseling.

The spirit of Youth Reach, however, remains lighthearted. "Youth Reach is a way to have a lot of fun with people in the community," Kaplan said. "It's more of a celebration."