Kim looks ahead to the impact of Visions survey

USG president PJ Kim '01 responded at a USG meeting last night to recent assertions in The Daily Princetonian that student responses to the online survey Visions of Princeton fell short of USG goals, leaving his administration without direction.

About 600 students responded to the poll that the USG hoped would garner at least 1,000 responses, USG vice president Spence Miller '02 said.

Though Kim previously had indicated he would base his agenda on the results of the project, he made statements to the contrary last night. "This project again was not meant to form our agenda, wasn't meant to form a vision for us as a body," Kim said. "I think Visions of Princeton will long outlast this USG administration and will long outlast any editorial board of the Princetonian."

"The point of this was to leave the trustees and the administration with a series of student opinions and provide context and a set of guidelines," he said.

In a speech that drew loud applause and a standing ovation from the USG senate, Kim also listed the accomplishments and ongoing projects of the USG under his half-semester tenure as president.

Leadership summit

He cited the Princeton Leadership Summit, a series of meetings between student group leaders and administration officials that were organized by USG student groups liaison Aime Scott '02. He noted that more than 100 students attended the meetings.

"Unfortunately, the Princeton Leadership Summit was not covered by any major campus publication," Kim said. "I'm very disappointed by that."

Kim also mentioned the Sustained Dialogues on Race Relations, a project spearheaded by U-Council chair Teddy Nemeroff '01 that aims to be a self-perpetuating forum for discussing race relations on campus. Kim said previous USG efforts to address race relations resulted in "no concrete actions."

"Unfortunately, again, it hasn't been getting the attention that it deserves," Kim said.