Damage from Frist fire burns hole in contractor's wallet

Borough Fire Official William Drake said yesterday that the March 23 fire at the Frist Campus Center destroyed roofing materials and insulation valued between $25,000 and $30,000.

The investigation of the fire is still in progress, and Drake said Bureau of Fire Safety and Housing Inspection officials are not yet certain of the cause. They suspect, however, that careless smoking by construction workers on the roof may have played a part.

University Vice President for Finance and Administration Richard Spies GS '72 said he believes the contractor will pay for the materials destroyed in the fire.

"Typically, the contractor is responsible for a construction site and is required to have insurance that will cover this type of thing. I assume that's the case," Spies said.

The fire occurred on the roof of the campus center. Princeton Fire Department was called to the scene at about 8:40 p.m. and fought the fire for about 40 minutes before declaring it "under control."

Campus center director Paul Breitman said construction will not be delayed by the effects of the fire, adding that water damage to the roof and to other parts of the building was not significant.

Keith Stanisce, senior vice president of Barr & Barr Builders, Inc., said the fire did not damage the structure of the building, and the roofers resumed their work the day after the fire. The roofing materials that burned were stored on a concrete slab that prevented the blaze from spreading.

Spies also said yesterday the University still anticipates that construction will not be delayed by the fire.