Post Office mural debate continues

After several failed attempts to persuade the Palmer Square post office to remove the mural depicting Native Americans cowering in the presence of European settlers from inside its building, protest leader Karthick Ramakrishnan GS is pursuing a new plan to rectify the problem.

Ramakrishnan, a graduate student in the politics department, is now asking the post office to put a painting on the opposite wall of the office depicting the diversity of Princeton. Ramakrishnan said he hopes this will be a "win, win" situation for both sides of the debate.

Continued effort

The original picture would remain, but a new painting would balance the way minorities are represented in the federally owned building, he argued.

"It has been over a year since I brought up the topic and really nothing has been done," Ramakrishnan said about his protest, which began as a letter to the Princeton Human Services Commission and evolved into a formal civil rights complaint.

On Jan. 18, at Ramakrishnan's request, the commission agreed to send a letter to the U.S. Postal Service supporting the addition of a second mural.

According to Ramakrishnan, the marketing office for the U.S. Postal Service refused to take the painting down because of its historic value to the community.

The next step in Ramakrishnan's crusade will be to raise public awareness about the issue of racial inequality in Princeton, he said.

He added that he hopes the Princeton community will not continue to accept the stereotype that minorities are subordinate.

Final approval

In order for a new painting to be added to the Palmer Square office, the U.S. Postal Service would have to give final consent. If his plan is approved, Ramakrishnan said he would work with the human services commission, the Arts Council of Princeton and possibly the University to determine what type of painting would be appropriate.

Ramakrishnan's interest in social issues also motivated him to form the organization Graduate Students for Local Activism this summer. In addition to protesting the post office mural, the group is helping the Mercer County Hispanic Association to register under-represented minorities in the 2000 Census.

Ramakrishnan said poverty programs funded by federal grants are usually under-supported because a large number of needy individuals go unaccounted for in official population surveys.

Ramakrishnan added that the graduate student group is also working to secure dental benefits for graduate students and University employees. Graduate Students for Local Activism has received continual support from Students for Progressive Education and Action, according to Laura Kaplan '02.