Men's volleyball triumphs over NYU, 3-1

Coming off a disappointing homestand, the men's volleyball team hit the road last night and came away with a solid four-game victory over New York University. Buoyed by freshman center Dennis Alshuler's 22 kills, the Tigers managed an important Eastern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association win.

After Princeton took the first two games handily, 15-9, 15-4, the Violets (4-6) surged in the third with a win of their own, 15-12. Princeton (5-3) would not relent, however. The Tigers took the final game, 15-10, to seal the overall victory.

The source of the Tigers' up-and-down play of late had been in making costly mistakes at important moments. Last night, that was not the case.

While NYU outscored Princeton in nearly every statistical category, they also committed a whopping 21 service errors to the Tigers' four.

The Violets came out slowly in the first game. NYU had only 17 kills to its 16 errors for a meager .021 kill percentage. Princeton, meanwhile, recorded a strong .531 kill percentage, with only two errors to its 19 kills.

After mistakes plagued the Tigers all weekend — and cost them Saturday's match against Juniata — Princeton rebounded last night with clean play en route to its second consecutive EIVA victory.