After changing name, Agape maintains role as religious outlet

It took the Agape Christian Fellowship six years to get the name its members wanted.

"We had gotten feedback that there was a problem with the name," said Carrie Guyton '00, the group's vice president, explaining why the evangelical group formerly known as Campus Crusade for Christ elected to switch its name last year. "The last thing we wanted was to offend before people really got a chance to know what we were about."

Because Princeton's ministry belongs to an international organization, the group had to wait six years for permission to remove the word "crusade" from its name — a trend among Campus Crusade for Christ chapters at various other schools.

Agape president Phil Belin '00 said his organization was concerned about the "militaristic" connotations of its name — a problem that may not have existed when the group was launched in the 1950s. He explained that "agape," the Greek word for love, more clearly expressed the group's core values and beliefs.

Despite the name change, much about Agape remains the same. According to the chapter's director, Matt Bennett, the organization has not changed its commitment to "evangelism" and "discipleship."

"The mission is twofold. First, we try to get the message of Christ out on campus in different ways, such as speakers and Friday ads in the 'Prince,' " he said. "But it is also to help people who want to grow in their belief in Christ."

Agape seeks to achieve these goals through outreach efforts, open meetings, Bible studies and social events. As a non-denominational ministry, the fellowship includes members from numerous Christian denominations — allowing the group to encompass a variety of viewpoints while maintaining a "common denominator" of belief in Christ, according to Guyton.

"You can look at it from two angles — one is that they are divisive and the other that they serve different needs," Guyton said, explaining that she believes the group's composition benefits students whose religious views may evolve during their four years at the University.

Controversy

Perhaps as an inevitable result of its goals, Agape has at times been a source of controversy.

"There are occasionally some actions that may create a protest around campus," Dean of Religious Life Joseph Williamson said, noting that while denominational groups on campus sign a covenant agreeing not to "proselytize or undermine another chaplaincy," non-denominational fellowships such as Agape are not bound to any such terms.

"They believe that it is part of their purpose," Williamson said. "The fine line is when it is coercive and manipulative. If people who disagree with what I believe in want to pray for me, that is fine, but that is not something that is going to change my mind."

Junior John Dabiri said he understood people why were offended by the "direct confrontation" to others provoked by efforts such as the 'Prince' advertisements.

"I think people have a holier-than-thou picture of Agape as people-condemning, but that is an attitude that doesn't coincide with our beliefs," Dabiri said.