Trip to Europe provides w. hockey chance to foster team cohesion

As this summer's World Cup mania proved, women's athletics are gaining interest and recognition throughout the United States.

During its winter break European tour, the women's ice hockey team learned that this developing fascination, however, is not a global phenomenon. As a result of a lack of interest in women's hockey outside North America, the quality of play is lower.

Due to the meager competition, the purpose of the trip was more for Princeton (5-6-3 overall, 4-5-1 Eastern College Athletic Conference) to develop team unity than hockey skills. The Tigers will determine the effects of their improved team chemistry when Boston College (2-10-0, 0-10-0) and Dartmouth (7-5-0, 6-2-0) come to Baker Rink tomorrow and Sunday.

Princeton's complete dominance of its European exhibition games provides momentum for the upcoming conference matchups. The closest of the European contests was the fourth and final game Jan. 3 against the semi-pro team of Lyss, Germany, which the Tigers won by a score of 6-1. The Lyss team was the strongest opponent, because it plays in a league which in which North American players compete after graduation.

Dominance

The previous three games against club teams were blowouts. Dec. 29, Princeton defeated the Stuttgart, Germany, team, 10-1. The next day, The Tigers shellacked the Czech team, Lvice, 10-0. Princeton then blanked the Bad Tolz, Germany, squad, 7-0, New Year's Day.

The scores would have been even more lopsided if head coach Jeff Kampersal '92 had not made rules to contain the massacre. After their sixth goal, the Tigers were not allowed to shoot until all five players had touched the puck.

Each forward scored during the trip. Junior forward Abbey Fox netted four goals, a career-high, against Lvice.

Princeton dominated the first two games without the help of its top two point-scorers. Sophomore forward Andrea Kilbourne and junior forward Annamarie Holmes played on a U.S. select team of college and high school players in Fussen, Germany, during the first week. The American students defeated the German, Czech and Swiss National teams. Kilbourne earned three goals and four assists.

No repeats

Kampersal believes that the cohesion Princeton forged will help the Tigers avoid the mid-season collapse of last year.

Friends of Princeton Ice Hockey finances a European trip for the team every four years, so each player gets to go once during her collegiate career. The cycle should have sent the team last year, but an inability to raise enough money postponed the trip until this year.

"Last year, the team fell apart during exam-time, because everyone was on their own schedule," Kampersal said. "This year, the trip has really united the team – everyone is on the same page."

The Tigers cannot repeat last year's mistakes if they are to accomplish their goal of winning the Ivy League championship. Currently 1-2 against Ivy League teams, Princeton must defeat Dartmouth in order to keep its chances alive.

Jetlag

One of the biggest challenges for Princeton will be readjusting to the higher level of ECAC play.

"The European games were more like practices," senior defender and captain Danya Marshman said. "We only have two good practices before the [Boston College] game. We don't have the time that we usually do to prepare."

The Tigers hope to continue playing at the level of hockey at which they were at the end of December, which Kampersal called their best all season.

"We can beat any team in the league if we play the way that we did against the U.S. National Team [in the 6-1 loss Dec. 15], " Holmes said.

With the improved team chemistry cultivated during the European tour, perhaps the Tigers will play even better.