Police to close local roads for intercollegiate bike race

Driving around the University may be even harder than usual this weekend. Several roads will be closed to both parking and traffic Sunday as Princeton hosts a major intercollegiate cycling event.

Reed Tanger '99, captain of the University's cycling team, organized the competition. "It's really a big event to bring to your school," he said.

The Princeton University Circuit Race, consisting of six races classified by skill level, will begin at 10 a.m. The races will continue until 5 p.m, closing many local roads. The event is an official race in the 30-team Eastern Collegiate Cycling Conference's season.

Tanger said he expects more than 200 riders from 20 or more schools to participate in this weekend's contest.

The course

Competitors in four men's and two women's races will pedal their fastest on the 2.1-mile circuit, which begins on Washington Road outside Robertson Hall. The course then continues to William Street, Olden Street, Prospect Avenue, FitzRandolph Road and Faculty Road before heading back uphill on Washington Road.

"It actually did take a lot of effort to get the course set up," said Tanger, who explained that approval was needed at multiple levels because parts of the course are owned by the University, Princeton Township, Princeton Borough and Mercer County.

According to Associate Director of Public Safety Charles Nouvel, his officers, as well as Princeton Borough and Township police, will be stationed at locations around the race course to divert traffic.

Nouvel also said University students acting as race course marshals will be stationed around the course and at exits of parking lots.

Nouvel said vehicles coming up Washington Road from Route 1 will be forced to turn left on Faculty Road. They will then make a right on Alexander Road to get back to Nassau Street.

Parking

In addition to detours, parking will also be affected by the race. "We're trying to notify people of the parking situation because we can't have cars on the road," Tanger said. Flyers were distributed to inform Princeton residents of the event and to suggest adjoining roads as alternate parking locations.

According to Tanger, the fastest three races of the day will culminate with the 16-lap Category A men's race at 3:15 p.m.

"It should be a great competitive atmosphere," said Tanger, who also expressed hope for a large fan turnout. "It would really help us climb that hill, lap after lap, if we had a lot of Princeton fans supporting us."