Altercation ensues outside TWC party

Mathey College MAA Christopher Poindexter '99 was attacked and beaten outside the Third World Center at approximately 2:20 a.m. yesterday. According to multiple student witnesses, at least 10 people were involved in the altercation that was broken up by Princeton Borough Police and Public Safety within minutes. Some students reported seeing the alleged assailants taken away in handcuffs.

Paul Rodney '00, former president of the Black Men's Awareness Group, coordinated the party. According to Rodney, a University student was stationed at the door and given instructions to allow only college students to enter the event.

Outsiders

Poindexter, who remembers events until he was assaulted, said he saw some people enter the party who may have not been college students.

"I guess security at the party wasn't what it should have been. (The party) was a big event, and we were trying to attract the college crowd," he said. "I guess a different kind of element came."

According to Poindexter and Rodney, yesterday morning's attack was a result of an argument that had taken place Friday night among Poindexter and other unidentified people during another party at the TWC organized by the National Society of Black Engineers.

"The night before, one jacket had been stolen. When Chris asked someone about the jacket, he and his friends gave (Poindexter) a response he didn't like," Rodney said.

"They were there again Saturday night, and they came in greater numbers," Rodney said. "I don't know if they had been waiting for him, but it seemed like they were after Chris."

Rodney explained that Poindexter was attacked from behind by several people, one of whom hit him in the head with a blunt object, possibly a bottle or cane. "Once he was on the ground, they kicked him and hit him with their fists," Rodney said.

Pedro Hernandez '99, who was in the TWC when the altercation started, said he had not seen the initial attack. After he heard shouting, Hernandez went outside with other people who had been cleaning up the TWC.

"I just came out, and I saw (Poindexter) on the ground," Hernandez explained. "We brought him back inside the TWC, and I called the ambulance."

Poindexter was released from Princeton Medical Center later yesterday morning, and is currently recovering from his injuries in McCosh Infirmary. The Princeton Borough Police could not be reached for comment, and Public Safety had yet to issue a report regarding the incident as of 10 p.m. yesterday.