Student committee to evaluate academic performance

The USG Senate officially endorsed the creation of the student-run Committee on Examinations and Standing, one that parallels the faculty version of the same committee.

The faculty Committee on Examinations and Standing is the only committee that does not include student participation, mainly because the "vast majority (of work) involves looking at student academic records," Dean of the College Nancy Malkiel said.

The primary goal of the student committee will be to include students in general academic discussions that the faculty committee may have, USG academics chair Todd Rich '00 said.

The two committees will have to meet at least once every year, according to "Rules and Procedures of the Faculty of Princeton University."

"Whenever the Undergraduate Student Government shall establish a committee parallel to a Faculty committee, the parallel committees shall at least once a year meet in joint session," the bylaw reads.

In forming the committee, the USG wanted to "ensure that students will be able to meet along with the faculty members and ensure that a student voice is heard in all substantive discussion," Rich said.

'Substantive issues'

USG members agree that students should not review student records or violate the privacy of other students, Rich said. Issues such as P/D/F reforms, flexible finals and grading policies, however, are "substantive issues relevant to students. Students should not be bypassed," he said.

USG president David Ascher said to address faculty concerns he proposed a divide in the committee deliberations. One type of deliberation would include discussions with students while the other would involve student records and other work inappropriate for student committee members, Ascher said.

Malkiel, however, said there is "usually no business that is something other than what is related to student records."

Further, she said dividing the committee's deliberations would be difficult. "It's pretty awkward when most of the work done does not involve things that are appropriate for students to be involved in," she said.

Student input

Malkiel said many issues are discussed at each meeting, and not all of those issues are appropriate for student input. "To have a separate set of meetings (for students) would be a departure" from past policy, Malkiel said.

Also, the faculty who currently serve on the committee do a "considerable amount of work," Malkiel said, and "to tell them they have to go to a separate set of parallel meetings – that is something we'd have to think hard about."