Proctors break up parties as initiations close 'Street'

The Department of Public Safety broke up four different room parties Saturday night. With many of the clubs admitting "members-only" during their initiations, most freshmen chose campus room parties as an alternative to the 'Street.'

Lieutenant Lloyd Best of Public Safety explained that the number of parties investigated was higher than usual for a typical weekend night, attributing the increased activity in the rooms to the Bicker and sign-in activities this weekend. "This was average for a Bicker evening," he said.

Four separate parties were investigated and broken up by Public Safety officers Saturday night, Best said. Two took place in Witherspoon Hall, one in 1938 Hall, and one in 1939 Hall. All four investigations were initiated after Public Safety received noise complaints, Best said.

Rachel Triche '01 said she thought Public Safety had anticipated an increased number of room parties. "I think it sucks that they knew there were going to be room parties. They were much more on the prowl, trying to ruin our fun," she said.

Jonathan Schwartz '01 said that he felt some of the investigations performed were unnecessary. "I think that unless there is good cause, they shouldn't do anything. It seems like they were taking action without any reason," he said.

According to Best, proctors follow a set procedure when investigating room parties.

"When we respond to a noise complaint, we usually just knock on the door and announce our presence," he explained.

In the event that proctors enter and determine that alcohol is being served to minors, all guests are asked to leave and the residents are detained for questioning.

"We most certainly confiscate the alcohol," Best added.