NCAA recognizes Wang '99 with journalism scholarship

Shirley Wang '99 has been chosen as one of eight recipients of The National Collegiate Athletic Association/Freedom Foundation Sports Journalism Scholarship.

The scholarship is a $3,000 award annually given to college juniors through a grant from The Freedom Foundation and the NCAA.

According to its charter, the purpose of the scholarship is "to foster freedoms of speech and press while providing quality sports journalism education at the collegiate level." Only collegiate sports writers are eligible for the award.

"It was a surprise, obviously," said Wang, a sports editor for The Daily Princetonian. "I really appreciate the award."

The program was established in 1992 with a $150,000 grant from The Freedom Foundation, said Emmy Morrissey, Manager of Administration and Finance for the NCAA.

"Princeton has done very well with the award," Morrissey said. "It has really strong candidates each year."

The candidates are so strong, in fact, that two years ago, two of the eight winners were University students: Jennifer Jones '97 and Malena Salberg '97, also 'Prince' staffers. Jones was a sports editor, and Salberg was editor-in-chief.

"I had known about (the scholarship) because of Jennifer and Malena," Wang said. She said the application was "pretty simple," and required that she send in three samples of her written work, as well as letters of recommendation.

Applications are primarily evaluated on the basis of academics, letters of recommendation, journalism samples and the candidates' response to an essay question, according to Morrissey.

Scrutiny

She explained that the applications are then judged by a committee consisting of a journalism professor from a top university, the editor-in-chief of the NCAA News and a representative for The Freedom Foundation.

The NCAA awards the money through a check to the winners' schools, Morrissey said, "to make sure it goes to (the students) as they graduate." This year's awards will be distributed in the beginning of the 1998-1999 academic year, Morrissey added.

As an additional bonus, the winners will have their photographs published in the program of the NCAA Basketball Final Four tournament in March.

"We're really excited for her," said Ben Grad '98, former 'Prince' sports editor. "She's worked really hard for us over the years, especially during football season (this year)," he explained.

Wang, who has been a writer for the sports department of The Daily Princetonian since her freshman year, said she does not plan to continue her sports writing career after graduation. Instead, she is studying to become a clinical psychologist.