USG reviews newly approved clubs, positions at weekly meeting

USGSept30-2.jpg
Allen Liu ’22.
Courtesy of Brad Spicher / USG

At their weekly meeting on Sunday, Sept. 29, the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) Senate gathered to review Monday’s Council of the Princeton University Community (CPUC) meeting, approve new positions, and discuss newly approved clubs.

Allen Liu ’22 gave a five-minute presentation summarizing the Council of the Princeton University Community (CPUC) meeting on Monday, reviewing the implementation of calendar reform, the new dean of admissions, and CPUC requiring questions be submitted in advance of CPUC meetings.

The USG Senate also confirmed a number of new positions. Those new positions were Graphic Designer Victoria Pan ’21, Movie Committees Chair Jess Ma ’21, Newsletter Chair Mina Yu ’22, and TigerApps Chair Emre Cakir ’21. 

Cakir was present at the meeting and gave a brief description of his role, with a focus on ReCal and Princeton Courses and an attempt to bring back Princeton Pounce.

Lutfah Subair ’21 presented on the new clubs approved by the Student Groups Recognition Committee (SCGC). Those clubs were the Latino Medical Students Association + Princeton University, Our Health Matters, and Hip-Hop Empowerment Conference Planning Committee.

According to the meeting packet, the purpose of Latino Medical Students Association + Princeton University is to “acknowledge the health needs of the Latino community, as well as to promote the interests and support of those undergraduate premedical students who identify themselves as Latino students of Princeton University.”

Our Health Matters focuses on promoting “healthy lifestyles” for members of the black community at the University. The meeting packet explains that the club is intended to be an “inclusive and welcoming space that willfully works to recognize and destigmatize mental and professional health problems.”

The Hip-Hop Empowerment Conference Planning Committee plans to execute a conference in the spring to “empower African American students through hip hop.”

Projects Board co-chair Kavya Chaturvedi ’21 reviewed funding requests from the Muslim Students Association (MSA) and the American Whig-Cliosophic Society (Whig-Clio) for an annual Inter-MSA summit and an event hosting Ralph Nader ’55, respectively.

This year’s theme for the Inter-MSA Summit will be “Joining the Heart and Limb: Inspiring Leadership through Faith” and will focus on faith-led leadership and activism.

Nader’s talk will focus on “his experiences in American politics, environmental advocacy, [and] consumer protection law” as well as political writing and authorship.

USG President Zarnab Virk ’20 began the meeting with a brief “President’s Report” where she said that interviews for an open 2021 Senate seat would begin Tuesday. Vice President Chitra Parikh ’21 also added that the transportation council will be meeting on the 26th.

The meeting was open to the public and took place at 8 p.m. in Lewis 138.