BREAKING: Achille Tenkiang selected as Young Alumni Trustee

Achille Tenkiang '17 will serve as the newest Young Alumni Trustee after being winning in an election that ran from May 2-24. The news was announced this afternoon at an alumni luncheon on campus during Reunions.

In a press release, Tenkiang, an independent major in African Studies and Development with certificates in Urban Studies and French, said that he ran for the trustee position in order “to ensure that Princeton works for students from all backgrounds, by playing an active role in the decision-making processes that influence Princeton’s institutional priorities."

Tenkiang has not yet responded to request for comment.

During his time at the University, Tenkiang has addressed issues of diversity and promoting inclusion. He served on the Task Force on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, and addresses issues of campus climate with administrators in the Working Group on Academics and Awareness of the CPUC. He has also interned with the Provost's office, where his efforts with administrators helped to bring new funding for cultural centers, cultural studies, and diversity programming, according to a University statement to the 'Prince.'

According to the Alumni Association of Princeton University’s website, “the Young Alumni Trustee position was created in 1969 to ensure that the Board [of Trustees] would always include four members with recent experience as undergraduates.” The YATs are stipulated to have “the same rights, powers and duties as all other trustees.” Tenkiang will join Azza Cohen ’16, Tumi Akinlawon '15, and Brian Reilly '14 on the Board beginning on July 1.

Tenkiang was selected over two different election rounds. The first, known as the primary election cycle, involved several candidates voted on by only the senior class. The three candidates with the highest number of votes would then move on to a general election, which would be voted upon by the current juniors, the current seniors, and the two most recently graduated classes. The three candidates in the general election were Tenkiang, Andrew Sun '17, and Aleksandra Czulak '17.

According to Emily Aronson of the Office of Communications, the electorate was comprised of the Classes of 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018, with around a 24 percent participation rate.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.