News & Notes: Harvard gets sued over admission practices

Several University students who had previously applied to Harvard University received emails from Harvard Thursdayafternoon informing them that their undergraduate application information to Harvard has been summoned by the court in a lawsuit concerning admission practices.

The current litigation that Harvard faces,Students For Fair Admissions, Inc. v. President and Fellows of Harvard College,is under review in the first circuit court of the appeals. The plaintiffs will be provided the admissions files from Harvard University.

“The information that the court has ordered produced to date includes academic, extracurricular, demographic, and other information from your application,” the email reads.

The email further explained that Harvard may need to supply information of all candidates who applied for first-year undergraduate admission or transfer admission to between the fall of 2009 and the spring of 2015. However, Harvard will not release candidates’ social security numbers and all information released to Students for Fair Admissions is subjected to strict confidentiality rules.

Edward Blum, the president of Students for Fair Admissions, sent a letter to the University asking President Eisgruber ’83 to refrain from destroying student admission records in the spring of 2015.

Harvard will begin producing the required applicant information onOctober 28th, according to the email.