Women Top the Stage Second Night of DNC

PHILADELPHIA—While the themes of the second night of the Democratic National Convention touched topics such as the September 11terrorist attacks, global security and domestic progressive issues, many speakers tied each topic back to women’s rights.

Although former President Bill Clinton was one of the most anticipated speakers of the night, women composed the majority of speakers.

The night opened with a compelling and rousing appearance from "Mothers of the Movement," seven mothers of black men and women killed by police officers. The mothers wore red roses on stage after a video played with their meeting with Democratic nominee for president Hillary Clinton. The mothers included mothers of Trayvon Martin, Jordan Davis and Sandra Bland.

“Not only did she listen to our problems, but she invited us to be a part of the solution,” Lucy McBath, mother of Jordan Davis said.

“We are also going to keep using our voices and our votes to support leaders like Hillary Clinton… so that this club of heartbroken mothers stops growing,” McBath added.

The mothers emphasized working together—an allusion to the Clinton campaign slogan “Stronger Together”—and how their meeting with Clinton shaped that.

“I did not want this spotlight but I will do everything I can to focus some of this light on a path out of this darkness,” Sybrina Fulton, mother of Trayvon Martin said.

President of Planned ParenthoodFederation of America andAction Fund Cecile Richards also took to thestage in support ofClinton.

She discussed the women’s rights that Clinton has labeled “fundamental” before adding that Clinton has the qualities and qualifications to achieve these rights.

“This election isn’t about electing any woman president, it’s about electing this woman president,” Richards said.

Comedians Lena Dunham and America Ferreraspoke jointly, focusing on Republican nominee Donald Trump’s mockery of women. Dunham noted that her body would earn a score of “2” according to Trump and Ferrera said that she would be a “rapist” according to Trump.

Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar and California Senator Barbara Boxer each gave speeches that took a broader topic and focused on how Clinton would be able to focus on women’s rights through that lens. Klobuchar discussed global women’s rights and human trafficking. Boxer added to the global theme by noting Clinton’s contributions to domestic security and strength during 9/11.

Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright’s speech also tapped into discussions of women’s rights, global presence and Clinton’s abilities.

“We need a leader to have the experience and judgment to make America strong, secure and safe,” Albright said. “I have seen her fight and win for our country for causes that count.”

She noted that she has known Clinton for 25 years and has many things in common. Both are former secretaries of state and alumnaeof Wellesley College. They are also both mothers and grandmothers.

“We also know what it’s like to step off that plane with United States of America on it,” Albright said. “You are not just representing yourself, you are there for all of us.”

Clinton is expected to give her acceptance speech onThursday.