Second We Speak survey to measure student awareness, experiences of sexual misconduct at U.

The second We Speak survey on undergraduate and graduate students' knowledge and experiences of sexual misconduct and awareness of University policies, procedures and resources, was distributed to all students via email on Tuesday.

The survey was put together last year and this year by a smaller working group that had some student involvement, Vice Provost for Institutional Equity and Diversity, University Title IX Coordinator, and Co-Chair of the Faculty-Student Committee on Sexual Misconduct Michele Minter said. Administrators on the Faculty-Student Committee, including those who are experienced in survey design, and the SHARE office also participated in the process.

About 50 percent of Princeton students participated in the 2014-2015 We Speak survey, according to Vice Provost for Institutional ResearchJed Marsh, who is responsible for running and administering the survey.

“I have my fingers crossed that we will get at least 52 percent participation again this year. We’re very hopeful that we’re gonna get there, but it would be better if we get more than that,” he said.

Marsh added that in this year’s survey, a new section was added that asked about student experiences a few hours before the sexual misconduct to understand what happens before the actual event occurs.

“The big question [we asked when designing the survey] was: 'Is there a way that we can gather information in a way that we can help intervene early in that process and provide students with the knowledge and skills to avoid the situations of sexual misconduct?'" Marsh said.

Marsh added that he hopes that information will help the University administration provide programs to equip students to get out of avoidable situations.

Marsh noted that many students helped refine the survey’s questions for this year, including USG student representatives on the Faculty-Student Committee on Sexual Misconduct who pretested the survey questionnaire.

“It is really, really important to hear from students on campus to make sure we have a clear understanding of students’ issues and experiences,” Marsh said.

Allison Fleming ’18, a student representative on the Faculty-Student Committee on Sexual Misconduct, said that she was able to bring experience of actually taking the survey to the committee, as well as the experiences of her friends.

"I have experienced the social scene, while professors and administrators may only have second-hand understanding. Coming from a student perspective, I was also able to suggest ways to raise awareness of the survey," Fleming said.

Fleming noted that this year’s survey asks questions about the time period that was missed after last year’s survey had been taken.

"Because that period includes Lawnparties and Reunions, we thought it was especially important that we capture any incidents that occurred," Fleming said.

Marsh said that the Faculty-Student Committee on Sexual Misconduct and other campus partners will see the results of the survey and work them into their programs. Those campus partners include the SHARE office, University Health Services, the graduate school and others, according to Marsh.

Last year’s survey results led to changes focused mostly on training and education, according to Minter. For example, there are now signs posted in all bathrooms detailing how students can access resources if they have had experiences with sexual misconduct. The posters that are currently taped up will be converted to permanent framed posters within the next few months.

Minter added that a training called "Not Anymore" will now become mandatory for graduate students, who previously did not receive this training. Another training called "Preventing Sexual Harassment" was required for all of the employees and faculty this year. This same training will be required for graduate students starting next year.

Minter said that the Faculty-Student Committee is also preparing a memo that is not yet finalized with some additional suggestions about other areas worth exploring more deeply based on the results of last year’s survey.

“One category of that involves working more closely with the eating clubs on addressing the prevention of sexual misconduct,” Minter said.

She noted that a full set of recommendations for additional suggestions will be completed within a couple of months.

“We will look closely at the results of the survey and continue to make refinements. The goal is that over time, we will see changes in the outcome of the survey data,” Minter said. “We will very much like to see that people are more aware of the resources and the policies.”

Minter said that the survey will be run for two more years, totaling a run of four years in a row. She added that this is unusual as universities usually run surveys on sexual misconduct every four years.

“We care a lot about doing everything we can to address these issues on our campus. We are taking a particularly aggressive attitude toward it,” Minter said. “We really want people to understand that the data we collect really does help us to make recommendations.”

"It is really important that students take the survey so we can accurately compare the results to the results of last year’s survey. Additionally, we can only get an accurate representation of our campus if we have a large enough sample size," Fleming added. "Because the results have the capacity to influence policy, everyone should make sure their voice is heard."

"Based on the results from last year’s survey, sexual misconduct affects a wide range of students on our campus. We hope everyone can contribute to understanding what happens at Princeton and what we can do to make it better," she said.

The results of the survey, which will run through mid-April, will be released in the fall.