Men’s rowing teams earn first, women’s rowing teams show solid results against top teams

Men’s Rowing

Both the men’s lightweight and heavyweight crew teams started their spring season off with a bang. The men’s heavyweight team placed firstin its race against Georgetown on Lake Carnegie, with a time of 6:15.4, while the lightweight team achieved the same result over the same school, with a time of 6:34.9.

The early victories are encouraging to both teams as they look to build off of solid performances at the end of last year. Last year ended for both teams with a trip to the IRA National Championships, where both teams had to compete in a very talented field. The heavyweight team won fourthplace in the competition to end its season, just a little over 1.5 seconds behind from grabbing a spot in the top 3. The lightweight team finished fifthin its race, outside of the top 3 spots by a margin of a little more than 5.5 seconds.

Indeed, the victory for the men’s lightweight team is a continuation of a strong performance from earlier this year. Back in October, the Tigers placed first in the Head of the Charles race in Cambridge, Mass., a feat they also achieved in the 2013 season.

With the weekend’s victories now behind them, both the lightweight and heavyweight teams now have familiar foes in their next races. The lightweight team will travel to Annapolis, Md. to take on Navy and Columbia. The Tigers hope to avenge the heartbreaking loss of last year, where they came in second to Columbia by a mere tenth of a second. The heavyweight team will remain on Lake Carnegie, also to battle Navy. Just like its lightweight counterpart, the Tigers defeated Navy last year, winning by a margin of 1.4 seconds.

Women’s Rowing

Both the women’s lightweight and open teams posted solid results in their races over the weekend. The lightweight team placed third in a field of five, while the open team earned second as it faced Brown and Michigan.

Traveling to San Diego, Calif., the lightweight team put some of the top-ranked teams in the nation to the test. The Tigers came behind powerhouses Boston University and Stanford, finishing three seconds behind BU and seven seconds behind Stanford. However, the Tigers proved themselves to be in a different class skill-wise from the remaining two competitors: they outpaced fourthplace Villanova by just over nine seconds, and placed in front of MIT by a jaw-dropping margin of almost 28 seconds.

The open team, remaining on Lake Carnegie, earned second as it fell behind Brown and defeated a strong Michigan team. The Tigers, however, have every reason to believe they can defeat the Bears in future matches — they topped Brown to win the Ivy League championships in 2014.

Overall, a strong finish against two of the nation’s best teams should have the open team feeling good as it takes on Columbia on Saturday morning at Overpeck, N.J. The lightweight team will have a well-earned rest this weekend before competing in the Knecht Cup next Saturday.