Lupe Fiasco to perform at Lawnparties

After signing with Atlantic Records in 2004, the Chicago native got his first big break in the music industry with a verse in Kanye West’s hit single “Touch the Sky.” He has since gone on to record two solo albums, collaborating with stars like Jay-Z, Soundtrakk and Fall Out Boy’s Patrick Stump.

The concert, which begins at 3:30 p.m. at Quadrangle Club, will also feature singer-songwriter Matt Nathanson. It is co-sponsored by Quad, the USG and the Alcohol Initiative.

USG social chair Julia Jacobson ’10 said in an e-mail that she was “happily surprised” at the positive reaction from students to the announcement of the Lawnparties lineup, noting that “people seem pretty psyched about both artists.”

“A girl … down my hall actually tore a poster down to put in her bedroom,” Jacobson added.

Jacobson said the decision to book Lupe Fiasco and Nathanson was based on their overall appeal to students. “Since they are both of very different genres, I thought we’d have the largest turnout,” she said.

She also noted that these artists are very current, as opposed to the “has-been bands which are typical of Lawnparties.”

“Although that means they are more expensive,” Jacobson explained, “the Social Committee thought it would be worth it to have artists whose music is on the radio right now. Both Lupe and Matt Nathanson have just come off huge summer tours and are at high points in their careers.”

Lawnparties T-shirts will again be available for purchase at the concert, and this year the proceeds benefit Operation Smile, an organization that sends doctors to developing countries to repair cleft lips and palates. Free food and drink will also be available.

Ned Bennett ’11 said this year’s concert would likely be a step up from past concerts sponsored by the USG, which brought alternative rock band Everclear to Quad last fall and Rihanna in 2006. “Lupe Fiasco, unlike Rihanna, isn’t just electronically touched-up and fake,” he added. “It sounds like he will be a good live act.”

While Gilbert Tetteh ’12 has yet to experience Lawnparties, he said he will “definitely” go to this Sunday’s concert. “I was very excited to come to Princeton, but the Lupe Fiasco concert is the icing on the cake. I’m a huge fan of Lupe,” he added.

Michelle Luo ’12 was also impressed with the USG’s concert choice. “The fact that Princeton got [Lupe Fiasco] was absolutely incredible,” she said. “I know there’s someone else [performing], and I don’t know who it is, but I don’t really care.”

Several of the other eating clubs are also hosting bands. Tower Club announced that it has booked singer-songwriter Eric Hutchinson, and Terrace Club will begin with Philadelphia-based rap group Plastic Little at 1:30 p.m., followed by Yeasayer, a young Brooklyn-based band, at 3 p.m.

Where’s Waldo, the student band featured on Dean’s Date last spring, will play at Tiger Inn, while Cap & Gown Club will host Hey! Hey! Hooligan. Fools & Horses will appear at Cloister Inn, and 2U, a U2 cover band, will perform at 1 p.m. at Charter Club. The Dave Matthews Tribute Band will take the stage at Colonial Club at 2 p.m.