Friday, April 5, 2024
Good morning! This is Kia Ghods, head Newsletter editor. 

Our top three stories this morning:
Family of Elizabeth Tsurkov lobbies U. for White House action ahead of Iraqi PM state visit
Tsurkov was kidnapped just over a year ago while doing dissertation research in Iraq.
Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

Call from the family of Elizabeth Tsurkov GS: Ahead of the upcoming Iraqi prime minister’s visit, the family of Elizabeth Tsurkov GS is calling on the University to write a letter to the Biden administration. Part of their demands is for the U.S. to designate Iraq as a state sponsor of terror. Tsurkov was kidnapped in Iraq by the Iran-backed Shiite militia Kataib Hezbollah. Representatives in Congress have lobbied to raise awareness and advocate for her release, underscoring the complex diplomatic and humanitarian challenges involved.

READ THE STORY→

OPINION | Make FGLI resources available to all FGLI students

I’m Lizbeth Reyes, a contributing columnist for the ‘Prince’. An increase in first-generation college students nationwide has led me to further investigate the resources and programs Princeton offers for its increasing population of these students. Through further research, I found that resources and mentorship programs have become an integral part of first-generation students’ success on campus. However, I also found these resources to be less accessible based on income. Recognizing the significant role income plays in college admissions, matriculation and post graduation, I highlight the impacts of being a first-generation student and the importance of increasing accessibility for first-generation student resources for all, regardless of socioeconomic status. As such, I propose solutions to increasing accessibility, arguing that in order to fully create an inclusive environment, the University must recognize and establish rules that will easily allow first-generation students to access resources and programs regardless of income.

– Contributing Columnist Lizbeth Reyes

READ THE PIECE →

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to this week’s special episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast.
  • PUZZLES: Play our Friday crossword, “Fresh Start

DATA | Fall 2024 courses offering an international travel opportunity

Passengers wait at the Wawa station.
Louisa Gheorghita / The Daily Princetonian

Princeton students have the opportunity to travel abroad with their classmates during fall break by enrolling in courses offered through various departments. At least five courses for Fall 2024, including ANT 437, ART 456, HUM 417, FRE 217, and HIS 461, offer international travel experiences, all requiring applications. These courses aim to provide students with unique cultural and academic experiences, allowing them to expand their global perspectives while engaging deeply with course material and real-world contexts. Applications for these courses typically include transcripts, GPA, letters of interest, and relevant coursework, with some deadlines before course enrollment and others after selection, ensuring motivated and interested participants.

READ THE PIECE→

SPORTS | By the Numbers: Track and field record shattered

Georgie Scoot at 2024 Sam Howell Invitational hosted at Weaver Stadium.
Photo courtesy of @PrincetonTrack/X.

The recent athletic competitions at Princeton showcased outstanding performances across various sports, with 25 games and matches held across 15 sports and four U.S. states. Notable achievements included first-year sprinter Jackson Clarke’s record-breaking feats in track events and heavyweight rowing’s victorious season opener, marking a promising start to their campaign. Additionally, standout moments like Olivia Krotts’ clutch goal in women’s water polo and Georgie Scoot’s record-breaking long jump added to the week’s excitement, underscoring the depth of talent within Princeton’s athletic programs. Overall, it was a thrilling week for Tiger athletics, highlighting the team’s resilience and talent across different disciplines, with spring sports now in full swing and conference play continuing to captivate fans and athletes alike.

READ THE PIECE→
More from Sports:

PROSPECT | Sip into spring and try Coffee Club’s spring drinks 

Coffee Club’s new spring drinks
Natalia Diaz / The Daily Princetonian

As spring arrives at Princeton, Coffee Club unveils its seasonal menu featuring four new drinks. The Elderflower Espresso Tonic offers a unique blend of coffee and floral notes, catering to those with a taste for adventurous flavors. The Lavender Latte provides a subtle floral touch to the classic latte experience, while the Mango Matcha Lemonade offers a refreshing option with a balance of fruity and earthy flavors. However, the top spot goes to the Irish Cream Cold Foam Cold Brew, praised for its perfect blend of sweetness and creaminess, making it a delightful choice for any occasion.

READ THE PIECE→

More from The Prospect:
If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Bryan Zhang. Illustrations by Luiza Chevres. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA