Thursday, April 20, 2023

Dining pilot has seen low use at eating clubs, enthusiasm for late meal

Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian

In September, a controversial dining plan was introduced to juniors and seniors, which would include “five swipes per week to use in any dining institution on campus — including dining halls, co-ops, and eating clubs — in addition to the meal plans they might already have at any of those institutions.”

Immediately, students expressed concerns about the implementation of the proposed pilot, and how it would affect eating clubs and co-ops alike. In October, a counter-proposal was offered by six student leaders, including those involved in eating clubs, co-ops, residential colleges, and Undergraduate Student Government.

The 146th Daily Princetonian Editorial Board expressed their opposition to the plan in an opinion, writing that the implementation of the dining pilot, particularly in co-ops, “shows how poorly thought out this proposal is,” and calling the pilot “half-baked.”

Students who have been on the dining pilot for the spring semester have reported that “they did not eat at eating clubs, either because they did not know anyone in the eating clubs or because the process to use their swipe at the eating club was too strenuous,” and no reported dining swipes have been used at co-ops. Only 2 percent of dining pilot swipes were used at eating clubs, while over half were used in dining halls.

Overall, students reported using their dining pilot mainly at retail locations and late meal, with Brendan Gauthier ’24, a current dining pilot participant and steward of International Food Co-op (IFC) writing in an email to the ‘Prince,’ “Having late meal back is the dopest thing to ever happen to an upperclassman besides graduation.” 

READ THE PIECE HERE →
Analysis by Sidney Singer

Today’s Briefing:

PRINCETON JUNCTION FIRE: A brush fire ignited along the tracks at Princeton Junction station yesterday afternoon, causing concern among passengers and disruption to transit on the Northeastern Corridor (NEC). According to NJ Transit spokesperson Kyalo Mulumba, the fire resulted in a six-minute delay of a New York-bound train, which was forced to stop short of the platform to wait until the fire was extinguished. No other trains were late due to the fire.

READ THE FULL STORY →

COS 126 PLAGIARISM RUMORS: On Monday, April 3, students in COS 126 received an announcement on Canvas entitled “Important Collaboration Policy Information.” The announcement said that students should review the course collaboration policy, as instructors detected multiple instances of plagiarism. The announcement came after instructors graded assignments due on March 26 and March 19. The Daily Princetonian spoke with eight students in COS 126 about their understanding of the incident and some of their fears.

READ THE FULL STORY →

More From News

OPINION | Let’s celebrate campus athletics

Contributing columnist Julianna Lee writes that Princeton’s successes at the March Madness basketball tournament prove that “we are not bad at sports,” and that there is room for improvement in how the campus celebrates Princeton athletics. 

She argues that the University should do more to help foster a sense of community surrounding our athletic achievements, stating that “the University should capitalise on this and provide more regular community and spirit building activities that the entire campus can partake in together.” 

READ THE COLUMN → 
Arabic is not an extension of Islam: Columnist Anais Mobarak describes her experience learning Arabic through Princeton and details how the program focuses its curriculum on “the people of a single culture and religion — Islam.” She argues that this focalization on Islam detracts from the other religions practiced by Arabic speakers, such as “Jewish, Christian, and Baha’i communities, not to mention Zoroastrianism and many others.”

READ THE COLUMN → 

SPORTS | Tommy Feroce ’26 runs Boston Marathon to raise money for organization supporting victims of terrorism

Tommy Feroce ’26 finished the 127th Boston Marathon in three hours and 33 minutes.
Courtesy of Tommy Feroce ’26.
On Monday, April 17, Tommy Feroce ’26 ran the Boston Marathon in three hours and 33 minutes. As part of the marathon, Feroce raised $9,000 for the One World Strong Foundation, which provides assistance to those affected by terrorism.

READ THE FULL STORY →

CARTOON | Ariadne defends her Theseus

By Head Cartoon Editor Emeritus Sydney Peng

At your leisure

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Lindsay Pagaduan. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA