Wednesday, March 23, 2022
Newsletter by Caitlin Limestahl

Women’s basketball’s March Madness run ends in Indiana, CPUC discusses divestment and minor program

Todays Briefing: 

This month’s CPUC meeting covered dissociation from fossil fuels, plans for minors and mixed concentrations program, and new COVID-19 protocols. The minor program — which will be piloted by the Class of 2025 — will allow Princeton departments to propose their own minors and will potentially allow students to mix concentrations in the future.

Regarding disassociation, Vice President and Secretary of the University Hillary Parker said, “We are dissociating from those that participate in climate disinformation campaigns, or otherwise spread climate disinformation, as well as those that are in the thermal coal or tar sands segment of the fossil fuel industry, unless they can meet a rigorous standard for their greenhouse gas emissions."

READ THE STORY →

FIRST ON FILM: Drawing from documentary photographer Sol Libsohn’s collection, a small group of undergraduate curators designed a photo exhibit to be installed in the spring of 2022 in Wilcox Hall of First College. The exhibit is now on display. Titled “First on Film: Creating Spaces for Racial Reckoning on Campus, 1960s and Now,” the curators looked to connect the legacy of PSSP — and First College, where it was based — to racial inclusion and student activism today

READ THE FEATURE →

Opinion: Is meritocracy in Princeton admissions really a sham?: A response to Rohit A. Narayanan ’24

Morrison Hall, home of the University Office of Admission.
Nick Donnoli / Office of Communications

In this column, first year Vincent Nguyen responds to a previously published column by Community Editor Rohit A. Narayanan in which he argues that meritocracy in the college admissions process is a sham. Nguyen disagrees with Narayanan’s argument, writing that “his proposed solution would not address any of the supposed problems with the current admissions process — namely, it would not make the process fairer. Even worse, it would also create plenty of new problems. I don’t deny that the current admissions process is imperfect, but the fact that it doesn’t randomly assign students to elite schools is definitely not among its shortcomings.”

SPONSORED:

Sports:

In the Tigers’ second time making it to the second round of March Madness, the women’s basketball team’s season has reached its end. The No. 11 Tigers fell 56–55 to the Indiana Hoosiers in a matchup that went down to the wire. The Hoosiers limited Princeton to more than 10 points under their average 68 points per game.

“We put Princeton on the map,” said senior guard Julia Cunningham after the game. “We beat the SEC champs, and then had a one-point game with the Big Ten runner-up. For the Ivy League, it’s huge. For Princeton, it’s huge.”

More Headlines Online:

At Your Leisure:

Riddle
Adam Wickham
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Catie Parker.

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp