Friday, March 19, 2021

President Eisgruber addresses Atlanta attacks, University-sponsored travel will remain suspended, activism at Princeton

The Carl A. Fields Center
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian

Todays Briefing: 

On Tuesday evening, eight people were shot to death at three separate massage parlors in the Atlanta area. Six individuals were Asian American. As our nation mourns their deaths, President Eisgruber called on the University community to address not only recent acts of violence against Asian Americans, but also the continued discrimination, xenophobia, and stereotyping that has burdened Asian Americans for a long time. 

Jennifer Lee ’23 and Kesavan Srivilliputhur ’23, co-presidents of Princeton’s Asian-American Student Association (AASA), similarly call for the student body to take time to process this week’s events and support Asian American students and faculty. Lee notes that there much work to be done — both within and outside of the University: “It's very easy to make statements — for any organization, even for AASA. But now the hard work begins, which is the actions that are necessary to support those students.” 

READ THE STORY →

University-sponsored travel will remain suspended throughout the summer, according to a March 18 memo released to all University students. The current travel restrictions in place this spring semester will for the most part persist during the summer. Certain exceptions to the revised travel policies will take effect on May 24, when the summer recess officially commences. 

These exceptions include the allowance of domestic University-sponsored travel for undergraduate students “if critical to academic progress or University-sponsored internship, with approval from faculty adviser or internship program director.” Furthermore, all international University-sponsored travel will remain prohibited, except for those graduate students conducting relevant “critical dissertation research” with approval from both their departments and Global Safety & Security.

“The logistics of travel, especially internationally, remain complex and subject to sudden, unanticipated disruption. Quarantines and testing requirements, as well as frequently shifting lockdown rules, make short-duration journeys all but impossible,” wrote Associate Provost for International Affairs and Operations Aly Kassam-Remtulla regarding the restrictions surrounding University-sponsored travel this summer.

READ THE STORY →

OPINION: Reflecting on the role educational inequalities play in preventing social mobility, Columnist Maria Luisa Vieira Parada argues that Princeton students can play an active role in addressing such inequalities.

She states “The first step we must take is dramatically reducing the gap between investments made in the education of wealthy children versus all others. Otherwise, we will continue to walk this dangerous path: believing that success depends only on individual merit, which hinders the investments needed to provide these opportunities.”

READ THE COLUMN →

Courtesy of Zach Wahls & Chloe Angyal

An Unconventional Love Story: 

What is the best way to find love? For some the answer may be relatively predictable — using a dating app, bumping into someone, meeting a friend of a friend. But, for Zach Wahls GS ’18 and Chloe Angyal ’09, the route to finding love was a bit untraditional. Prospect writer José Pablo Fernández García sits down with Zach and Chloe to learn more about their rom-com worthy relationship story and how a feminist blog headline spurred a lifelong relationship.  

To Listen:

• Listen to the latest episode of the Daybreak podcast, which distills important global news into mere minutes of captivating listening.
  • Find Daybreak on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or Google Podcast
SPONSORED: Save the environment and 10% on your electric usage bill by getting your electricity from your share of a local community solar farm.
Plus, it’s cheaper than the standard rate! 
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Cecilia Zubler. Thank you. 

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp