Today's Front Page
Try our latest crossword
Read our Earth Day special issue

José Pablo Fernández García

José Pablo Fernández García / The Daily Princetonian 

It feels like America again

The Prospect associate editor José Pablo Fernández García wrestles with growing up in the age of mass shootings and how a return of such tragedies to the headlines grossly feels like a return to American normalcy.

Courtesy of Zach Wahls & Chloe Angyal

When a headline proposal works, sort of

Zach Wahls GS ’18 and Chloe Angyal ’09 tell the 'Prince' about their rom-com worthy relationship story, which all began with a deceivingly innocuous headline on a feminist blog.

José Pablo Fernandez García / The Daily Princetonian

For all the grieving tigers

Every time this happens, every time I feel my eyes begin to swell up or my throat tighten a bit as I learn how many more thousands have died in this country alone, I wonder just how many people are setting out on this tragic journey I began about eight years ago.

A family, paper towels & Princeton

This, if anything, is a story of the frustration I felt in those moments in the car, driving. I was frustrated because seeing that family felt like a failure. Indeed, it was a failure of our society to take care of that family’s most basic needs: food and shelter. This frustration was also very familiar to me after the recent months during which I’ve watched this country dramatically fail to respond to the pandemic: little to no effort to contain the virus, little to no effort to support those most affected. 

This, if anything, is a story of the frustration I felt in those moments in the car, driving. I was frustrated because seeing that family felt like a failure. Indeed, it was a failure of our society to take care of that family’s most basic needs: food, shelter. This frustration was also very familiar to me after the recent months during which I’ve watched this country dramatically fail to respond to the pandemic: little to no effort to contain the virus, little to no effort to support the most affected.

Outside McCarter Theater Center before the Triangle Show. 

Triangle’s ‘Old Folks’ Home’ and the future wished for

The future I see in front of me for the next couple months is the white wall that stands behind my desk as I write these words. It looks like my friends and classmates and professors confined to Zoom boxes. It looks like more time hundreds of miles away from the place I’d grown to love as my other home. This is all so different from the future I so wish lay ahead instead.

More articles »