Friday, April 19, 2024
Good morning! This is Victoria Davies, an associate Newsletter editor.

Our top three stories this morning:
  • Princeton awarded an F, then upgraded to a D, by an ADL college antisemitism report
  • An argument to thoughtfully approach free speech
  • The numbers behind Class of 2026 Declaration Day
SPONSORED

The ADL gave Princeton an F for antisemitism. After the CJL pushed back, they bumped it up to a D.

The Center for Jewish Life.
Ryland Graham / The Daily Princetonian

The ADL gave Princeton an F for antisemitism. After the CJL pushed back, they bumped it up to a D: Last week, the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) released a college antisemitism report that awarded Princeton an F. Just days later, the ADL quietly changed Princeton’s score to a D. Rabbi Gil Steinlauf ’91, the executive of Princeton’s Center for Jewish Life (CJL), spoke with the ADL, explaining that he “vehemently diagree[d]” with the failing grade, and discussed the existence of the University’s recently formed Jewish Experience Working Group. Vice Provost for Institutional Equity and Diversity Michelle Minter told the ‘Prince’ that the working group was organized in response to “an increase in climate concerns and bias incidents directed against Jewish, Muslim, and other individuals across the United States.” The senior director of advocacy at the ADL, Shira Goodman told the ‘Prince’ that the working group was “significant enough” for the grade to be changed.

READ THE STORY

Two officers terminated in first consequential DPS disciplinary report: For the first time since its introduction, the 2023 Major Disciplinary Action Report by the Department of Public Safety (DPS) listed disciplinary actions against three officers: Officer Paul Krzewinski’s termination followed “several sustained complaints against the officer within the previous twelve-month period.” Sergeant Luke Miller was suspended for 10 days without pay in connection to an incident concerning him and Krzewinski. Officer Brandon Delaney was terminated for violation of workplace harassment policy and for unsatisfactory performance during a probationary period, after he “used a racial epithet commonly understood to be derogatory toward African Americans” while speaking with a Black officer.

READ THE STORY

More from News:

OPINION | Progressives failed a lesson in free speech

Protest in support of Palestine on Frist South Lawn
Calvin Grover / The Daily Princetonian

When I heard the news about outrage over professor Robert P. George dining at the Charter Club with his student, I immediately thought about how statements made by pro-Palestine advocates that make some students extremely uncomfortable were defended on the grounds that the freedom of speech is valuable. So I decided to write about the hypocrisy — that in this specific moment comes from the left but in the future may come from the right — and how it demonstrates the futility of learning about the value of free speech in the context of a political movement. Instead, we should engage in activities, such as competitive debate, that teach us about free speech as an intellectual tool.

— Columnist Anais Mobarak 
READ THE OPINION
SPONSORED

At your leisure

DATA | 184 members of the Class of 2026 declared Economics. We broke down Declaration Day.

Declaration Day for the Class of 2025.
Aarushi Adlakha / The Daily Princetonian
184 members of the Class of 2026 declared Economics. We broke down Declaration Day: After a forecasted thunderstorm delayed the Class of 2026 Declaration Day by a week, today will see sophomores gathering on Cannon Green between 1:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. to take photos and celebrate their major declarations. The Data section of the ‘Prince’ broke down the concentrations of the Class of 2026. This year, the most popular major was economics, a shift from last year’s Public and International Affairs (SPIA), and computer science B.S.E.. The percentage of students declaring history has dropped from 5.2 percent in the Class of 2025, to 2.97 percent for the Class of 2026, while the percentage of students who have declared SPIA is the lowest since the Class of 2023, with 8.99 percent for the Class of 2026. 33.25 percent of the Class of 2026 study engineering, while the percentage of rising juniors declaring a humanities major has decreased consistently over the past ten years.

READ THE PIECE

FEATURES | ‘Translating and transcribing knowledge’: The collaborative effort to make Princeton’s Mesoamerican collection open-access

An example document from the University’s Mesoamerican Collection.
Courtesy of Nadia Cervantes Pérez

A collection of largely untouched documents from Nahuatl sits in Special Collections in Firestone Library. A freshman seminar, FRS 152: Translating Mesoamerica, taught by Professor Nadia Cervantes Pérez, started translating a collection of largely untouched Nauhuatl documents donated by Robert Garrett, a member of the Class of 1897, into English. Nauhuatl is an endangered, indigenous Mesoamerican language, native to the Nahua people of central Mexico. Since the donation in 1949, Princeton University Library (PUL) has now digitized 236 Mesoamerican items. The goal of the translation project is to produce an open-access platform that provides contextual information about the Mesoamerican collection at PUL. Pérez explained “I’m trying not to be the one that provides knowledge, but the one that learns with them.” Students are challenged to develop skills in transcribing and translating Nahuatl manuscripts in FRS 152.

READ THE PIECE →

SPORTS | From Princeton to South Bend: Senior captain Matt Allocco tries his luck with the Fighting Irish

Allocco averaged 12.7 points per game this past season on 50/40/90 shooting splits.
Ammaar Alam / The Daily Princetonian

Men’s basketball senior guard and captain Matt Allocco is one of only eight players in NCAA history to have averaged over 30 minutes and 12 points per game while shooting at least 50 percent from the field, 40 percent from beyond the arc, and 90 percent from the charity stripe. Allocco will spend his final year of eligibility playing for the University of Notre Dame Fighting Irish as a graduate transfer. He said in an interview with the ‘Prince’ that “Notre Dame was the best fit.” He explained that choosing where to transfer was “a long process and pretty exhausting,” but he is “excited and ... ready to get there.” Allocco will likely step into a big role for the team and “lead as best as [he] can and also learn from them.” Allocco has played in every game for the Tigers for the last three years and was a two-time second-team All-Ivy honoree and received a third-team All-Met selection by the Metropolitan Basketball Writers Association.

READ THE PIECE →

More from Sports:

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Bryan Zhang. Illustrations by Luiza Chevres. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA