Friday, March 22, 2024
Good morning! This is Kia Ghods, the head Newsletter editor. 

Our top three stories this morning:
27 Young Alumni Trustee candidates announced, represent multidimensional class
Nassau Hall.
Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

27 Young Alumni Trustee candidates announced, representing multidimensional class: A University statement shared with The Daily Princetonian released the YAT candidate list, marking a slight increase in candidates from the previous year and reflecting a broad representation of campus life and interests. This year introduces a change in eligibility requirements for YAT candidates, now necessitating attendance at an information session and submission of a candidate form, moving away from the previous signature-based qualification method. The YAT role, emphasizing non-partisan and issue-neutral representation on Princeton’s Board of Trustees, attracted a diverse group of candidates with varied post-graduation ambitions, academic interests, and involvement in activities.

READ THE STORY→

‘On a Gaza genocide’ event with Finkelstein GS ’87 draws hundreds : Norman Finkelstein GS ’87, and journalist Chris Hedges, a Pulitzer Prize winner, held an event to attended by approximately 300 at McCosh 50, discussing the Israel-Gaza conflict’s implications and the role of the United States in funding Israel’s actions in Palestine. Finkelstein compared his reluctance to condemn the perpetrators of atrocities to historical instances of rebellion, emphasizing the importance of understanding the context of such actions. The event, which also touched on the viability of a two-state solution and the international legal perspective on the conflict, highlighted the complex debates surrounding the Israel-Palestine issue on college campuses and beyond.

READ THE STORY→

OPINION | The humanities were never meant for Princeton’s international students

The cannon behind Nassau Hall.
“Cannon Green and Nassau Hall, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey” by Ken Lund / CC BY-SA 2.0

I’m Siyeon Lee, a first-year assistant Opinion editor for the ‘Prince.’ As an international student with a love for everything humanities, it was important to me to write this piece about why Princeton needs to do more to support its international humanities majors — because as of now, they aren’t doing enough. Not only are international students in the humanities excluded from a STEM-OPT (Optional Practical Training) extension, putting them at a higher threat of leaving the country soon after graduation, the OPT system itself is also geared to exclude students in the humanities. I argue that there’s much more that Princeton can do than it seems, whether it be through means of extending Career Center resources post-graduation or through vocal advocacy to U.S. policymakers.

— Assistant Opinion Editor Siyeon Lee  
READ THE PIECE →

At your leisure

• PODCAST: Listen to this week’s special episode of Daybreak, The Daily Princetonian’s daily news podcast.
  • PUZZLES: Play this Friday's Crossword, ‘Mascot Mayhem

SPORTS | Staff Picks: Women’s Basketball vs. West Virginia 

The women’s basketball team boarding a bus en route to the NCAA Tournament in Iowa.
Photo Courtesy of @PrincetonWBB/X

The women’s basketball team, seeded ninth, is set to face the eighth-seeded West Virginia Mountaineers in the first round of the NCAA Tournament this Saturday in Iowa City, Iowa. The match up will be a clash of contrasting styles with Princeton’s defense up against West Virginia’s fast-paced offense. Princeton’s season has been marked by their trademark “get stops” approach, led by senior forward Ellie Mitchell, and consistent offense from senior guard and captain Kaitlyn Chen and sophomore guard Madison St. Rose. Despite West Virginia’s impressive defensive stats, including their high turnover margin and steals per game, Princeton’s preparation and momentum from a five-game win streak and an Ivy League Championship position them as formidable contenders in this closely matched encounter. The Daily Princetonian’s Sports section gave their predictions for this matchup.

READ THE STORY→

More from Sports:

If you have any feedback or concerns about today’s newsletter, please email managingeditor@dailyprincetonian.com
Today’s newsletter was copy edited by Bryan Zhang. Illustrations by Luiza Chevres. Thank you. 
You are receiving this email because you either subscribed on our old site or have subscribed recently.

Our mailing address is:
The Daily Princetonian
48 University Pl
Princeton, NJ 08540
Add us to your address book

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
The Daily Princetonian · 48 University Pl · Princeton, NJ 08540 · USA